CCAC brings home eighth state crown
TribLIVE Sports Videos
For the eighth time in school history, the CCAC men's golf team has earned the distinction of being called state champions. The course was cold and nasty according to CCAC coach Chuck Bell, but his boys pulled it off.
Leading the way was Eric Poplowski of Ambridge, who won the individual state title with scores of 72 and 72.
“It's been two years now,” Poplowski said. “We set these goals, and kept our eye on the prize.
“I just kept my head in (the game) and hit straight shots off the tee.”
Poplowski said he should have sunk more putts, but he didn't let a tough start get him down.
While Poplowski took first, teammates Paul Ajak of Aspinwall and Ben Kennedy of Sewickley tallied scores of 80, 79 and 80, 81 to earn third and fourth place.
“We finally got it done as a team,” Ajak said. “Me and Eric wanted to win it as a team, and we are excited because it is our last year here, so this win was a weight off our shoulders.”
Ajak said he didn't have his best round but was happy with the end result.
Kennedy credited Bell with pushing the team and the team in turn pushing each other.
“Chuck is never down on us,” Kennedy said. “We didn't let the weather get to us, either. We just tried to dress in layers and stay warm.”
Bell mentioned Dan Dalhnik as another player who played a big role in this victory.
“It never gets old,” Bell said. “We always have fun and try to win because this is our goal. Everyone has to be good, but we expect that.”
Jerry Clark is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-779-6979 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Truck accident closes all eastbound lanes of Parkway West
- State Supreme Court Justice McCaffery sent explicit emails
- West Newton man found dead in helicopter wreckage near Rostraver Airport
- Rossi: Pirates can’t waste McCutchen’s prime
- Penguins release Carcillo from tryout contract
- Giants’ Crawford makes history with slam
- East Huntingdon man dies following police chase
- Penguins’ Sutter is determined to keep scoring pressure on
- Giants, Bumgarner shut out Pirates in wild-card game
- Steelers pressing to create opportunities to get to quarterback
- Consol Energy cutting retiree health benefits, phasing out pension