South Hills Judo Club to hold an open house
Published: Wednesday, October 17, 2012, 8:56 p.m.
Updated: Tuesday, April 2, 2013
South Hills Judo Club, one of the oldest clubs in Pittsburgh, will hold an open house Oct. 29 to celebrate World Judo Day 2012. The theme for the day is “Judo for All.”
South Hills Judo Club is located at 2620 Brownsville Road in Carrick.
The open house, which will include a free class, will take place from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m., and all are welcome.
“This year, we would like to see around the world, on the same tatami and at the same time, all categories training together — men and women, youngsters and adults, white and black belts,” said Marius Vizer, president of the International Judo Federation, in a press release.
South Hills Judo Club is a nonprofit organization whose mission is “to positively affect the character, fitness, and lives of its members and the community, through the principle of ‘mutual benefit and welfare.'”
More than a place to practice, there is a social dimension to the club.
On that note, if you plan to participate in the free class at the open house, comfortable sweat pants and a T-shirt is the suggested attire.
South Hills Judo Club was founded by Nick Zaffuto — known as the “Father of Pittsburgh Judo” — and has produced several national and international elite competitors, including Dr. Marisa Pedulla, a 1996 Olympian.
SHJC is a member of the United States Judo Federation, and strives to offer something for everyone — whether you are an elite competitor, recreational player, beginner, older student, or have an interest in Kata.
Oct. 29, the birthday of Jigoro Kano, is an annual day of awareness about judo and its values. This day is for all judoka.
“I hope that all practitioners, clubs, national federations and continental unions will rally to highlight the greatness of judo,” Vizer said.
For questions or more information about South Hills Judo Club or its open house, contact Amy Kline at 412-689-6337 or Rick Brown at 412-882-3600.
Ray Fisher is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-388-5820 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Kovacevic: It’s about time for these Penguins
- Steelers veteran outside linebacker Woodley: ‘I’m good to go’
- Penguins turn Game 4 into a blowout victory over the Senators
- Steelers notebook: Slimmed-down Redman optimistic for 2013
- Senators on cusp of ouster against Penguins
- Steelers’ Miller watches, waits while teammates practice
- Neal, Iginla get back on track to lead Penguins
- Pirates outfielder Snider certainly proving to be (big) hit
- Starter Liriano impressive again as Pirates blank Cubs
- Pirates notebook: Morton could be back in early June
- Penguins notebook: Morrow sits; Bylsma changes lineup
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.