Schwartz takes first place
By Jerry Clark
Published: Wednesday, October 24, 2012, 8:56 p.m.
Updated: Thursday, October 25, 2012
At the beginning of the Tri-State Invitational, it was Shaler's Brianna Schwartz and three other runners who jumped out to an early lead.
“It was uphill, and it was me (and another runner),” Schwartz said. “I was able to take the lead and went from there.”
Schwartz won the race with a time of 18:10, and has a lot of confidence heading into the WPIAL championship.
“I took a long run last week, and now I will take it easy,” she said. “My coaches told me to stay mentally calm, go in with a clear head and try not to get caught up.”
Other local runners doing well were Hampton's Brian Shileds who took sixth with a time of 16:14 and Vincentian's Ryan Archer, who took seventh with a time of 16:15.
- Rossi: Late-game moves pay off
- Kovacevic: Do Senators have anything left?
- Steelers might be looking at a youth movement in 2013
- Penguins’ Dupuis earns teammates’ respect with consistent play
- Sewickley man dies in overnight motorcylce accident
- Trib poll: Peduto pulling ahead in Pittsburgh mayor’s race
- Penguins notebook: Spezza will return for Senators in Game 3
- Gulf Tower ‘turns’ red over Pens goals
- Pirates’ bullpen falters in extra-inning loss to Astros
- Biertempfel: Pirates lefty Locke settles into rotation
- Starkey: Robots over umps? Yes, please
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.