Schwartz takes first place
TribLIVE Sports Videos
At the beginning of the Tri-State Invitational, it was Shaler's Brianna Schwartz and three other runners who jumped out to an early lead.
“It was uphill, and it was me (and another runner),” Schwartz said. “I was able to take the lead and went from there.”
Schwartz won the race with a time of 18:10, and has a lot of confidence heading into the WPIAL championship.
“I took a long run last week, and now I will take it easy,” she said. “My coaches told me to stay mentally calm, go in with a clear head and try not to get caught up.”
Other local runners doing well were Hampton's Brian Shileds who took sixth with a time of 16:14 and Vincentian's Ryan Archer, who took seventh with a time of 16:15.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins forwards struggle in loss to Avalanche
- Agent: Polamalu undecided whether to play in 2015
- Overnight snowfall plagues public transportation, schools, commuters
- Starkey: In defense of Mel Kiper Jr.
- Mt. Lebanon deer-culling corrals sprayed with urine, repellent
- Springdale Twp. police car crashes into veterinary clinic
- Angry fans cited in shortage of refs in Western Pennsylvania
- Wolf’s Pa. budget plan seen as having almost no chance
- Dermatologist led UPMC residency program
- Ice jam wipes out McKeesport’s marina
- Police: Suspect in 1970 cold case homicide of 17-year-old dies days before charges filed