Schwartz takes first place
TribLIVE Sports Videos
At the beginning of the Tri-State Invitational, it was Shaler's Brianna Schwartz and three other runners who jumped out to an early lead.
“It was uphill, and it was me (and another runner),” Schwartz said. “I was able to take the lead and went from there.”
Schwartz won the race with a time of 18:10, and has a lot of confidence heading into the WPIAL championship.
“I took a long run last week, and now I will take it easy,” she said. “My coaches told me to stay mentally calm, go in with a clear head and try not to get caught up.”
Other local runners doing well were Hampton's Brian Shileds who took sixth with a time of 16:14 and Vincentian's Ryan Archer, who took seventh with a time of 16:15.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Government survey: More teens trying out e-cigarettes than real thing
- Armstrong contributes to project to replace Kittanning retaining wall
- Rossi: Steelers rising fast in mediocre AFC
- Steelers offense learning to slam door
- Steelers clinch trip to postseason with big victory over Chiefs
- Charity helps dozens of McKeesport area children in need get new shoes
- Pittsburgh mayor Peduto goes ‘Undercover’ for CBS reality show
- McKeesport Area student’s Project Christmas expands in 2nd year
- Munhall garbage collection rates to increase
- Vigil honors 6 homeless who died in Pittsburgh in 2014
- Pittsburgh police doubling up on duty after potential threats