Schwartz takes first place
TribLIVE Sports Videos
At the beginning of the Tri-State Invitational, it was Shaler's Brianna Schwartz and three other runners who jumped out to an early lead.
“It was uphill, and it was me (and another runner),” Schwartz said. “I was able to take the lead and went from there.”
Schwartz won the race with a time of 18:10, and has a lot of confidence heading into the WPIAL championship.
“I took a long run last week, and now I will take it easy,” she said. “My coaches told me to stay mentally calm, go in with a clear head and try not to get caught up.”
Other local runners doing well were Hampton's Brian Shileds who took sixth with a time of 16:14 and Vincentian's Ryan Archer, who took seventh with a time of 16:15.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pitt’s Boyd, Blair suspended for Youngstown State game
- Steelers notebook: No decision on surgery for rookie CB Golson
- Authorities identify 2 men killed in fiery crash in Pittsburgh
- Pennsylvania’s Class AAAA Basketball Player of the Year commits to Penn State
- Pirates pitcher Burnett could return in 4 weeks
- Pirates send Decker to Indy to clear roster space for Morse
- Slot cornerback Boykin should give Steelers options in secondary
- British police force under investigation amid child sex abuse claims against ex-PM
- Large crowd mourns Kittanning woman allegedly killed by escapee
- New interim director to take over VA regional office in Pittsburgh
- Actress Dushku displaced from Pittsburgh hotel by One Direction