Schwartz takes first place
TribLIVE Sports Videos
At the beginning of the Tri-State Invitational, it was Shaler's Brianna Schwartz and three other runners who jumped out to an early lead.
“It was uphill, and it was me (and another runner),” Schwartz said. “I was able to take the lead and went from there.”
Schwartz won the race with a time of 18:10, and has a lot of confidence heading into the WPIAL championship.
“I took a long run last week, and now I will take it easy,” she said. “My coaches told me to stay mentally calm, go in with a clear head and try not to get caught up.”
Other local runners doing well were Hampton's Brian Shileds who took sixth with a time of 16:14 and Vincentian's Ryan Archer, who took seventh with a time of 16:15.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Nearing season’s midpoint, Steelers still have issues to sort out
- Buffalo Township grandma pleads guilty to selling hundreds of pounds of weed
- Rossi: Fleury is, and will remain, Penguins’ soul
- Police: Gunfire in Canadian Parliament after soldier shot
- Lawyer: Steelers center Pouncey, brother won’t be charged in July fracas
- Peduto, Harris compromise on $1.6M for North Side community center
- Officials seek help identifying witness to Port Authority bus crash
- Ross brothers ordered to pay fine, remove debris from Christmas display
- Police seize phones of some Norwin High School students
- Corbett: $2.5M grant will keep Children’s Hospital ‘a national model’
- Woman accused of hitting Pittsburgh officer at PrideFest pleads guilty to harassment