Lady Rams battle hard in playoffs
TribLIVE Sports Videos
A 3-2 loss to Mt. Lebanon may have marked the end of the season for the Pine-Richland Lady Rams volleyball squad, but head coach Amanda Fetter is proud of how her kids battled back when they were down 13-7 in the final set.
“They really handled themselves well,” Fetter said. “They got the score back to 13-12, then battled point-for-point until the end. They left it all on the court (as they have all season) and I can not ask for anything more.”
The moments after the game were emotional, especially for seniors Chloe DiPasquale and Abby Dix. Fetter said she reserved really talking to the seniors, as she didn't want to add to the emotion at the moment, rather she said she is saving her comments for the banquet.
“Abby and Chloe will be missed,” she said. “I am proud of them on and off the court. They have a lot of skill and I can;t begin to think of how their loss will impact things (in the future) right now.
“They took care of a lot of little things before they even got to me. They were leaders, role models and they helped the girls under them and did an amazing job.”
The good news for the team is that there are several underclassmen who got experience and will be ready to step up next year.
Fetter also learned a lot about things as she assumed the head coaching role this season after being an assistant previously.
“This season taught the girls that you can't win all the time,” Fetter said. “They were so used to winning, so to get knocked off it makes them realize that you have to fight for what you want. That is a great life lesson.”
Fetter said she learned some things too, like how much more work it is being the head coach as opposed to the assistant.
“As the assistant, I got to be the nice one,” Fetter said. “As the head coach, you have to be more stern, and put more time into preparing practices.
“Emily (Walker, the former head coach) and I are good friends. She really held my hand and there were a lot of phone calls to her this season.”
Jerry Clark is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-779-6979 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Comeau’s hat trick leads Penguins; Crosby reaches career points
- Pitt routs Kansas State to finish 3rd at Maui Invitational
- Fewer adults smoking, U.S. survey finds
- Steelers’ backups Archer, Harris ready to run
- PIT wants non-passengers allowed past security to shop
- Starkey: Rutherford will add when timing’s right
- Pregnant woman struck by van in North Side dies; doctors save baby
- Defying the odds makes this Thanksgiving particularly poignant
- Steelers notebook: Roethlisberger says Saints game is ‘must win’
- Trib kicks off annual effort to help feed families for Christmas
- Liberal Supreme Court Justice Ginsburg has stent placed in heart artery