Umberger to be inducted into Plum High School Sports Hall of Fame
TribLIVE Sports Videos
R.J. Umberger became well known locally in the sport of hockey during the two seasons he played on the Plum varsity team from 1996 to 1998.
He led the Mustangs to a WPIHL championship as a sophomore, scoring the winning goal in overtime of the title game against Pittsburgh Central Catholic.
Umberger scored 66 goals and added 52 assists in 28 games as a sophomore, leading all high school players in western Pennsylvania.
He finished with a two-season total of 108 goals, 79 assists and 187 points in 40 games.
Umberger then left Plum to pursue a hockey as a profession, and today is one of the most established players in the National Hockey League.
Next week, he comes home to receive honors from his hometown school.
Umberger will join eight other Plum athletic standouts in the Class of 2012 of the Plum High School Sports Hall of Fame.
A banquet will be next Thursday, Nov. 8, at Edgewood Country Club, and tickets can be purchased at plumsportshof.com.
Umberger was voted into the hall of fame a couple of years ago by the hall-of-fame committee, but because of his commitments to the NHL regular season, he was not able to attend past induction ceremonies.
With the NHL season in limbo because of the ongoing lockout, Umberger is able to attend this year. Plans for his induction were finalized Tuesday evening.
Following successful seasons in minor-league hockey, in international play and at Ohio State University, Umberger signed a free agent contract with the Philadelphia Flyers in June 2004.
In seven NHL seasons with the Flyers and Columbus Blue Jackets, Umberger has scored 143 goals, added 171 assists for a total of 314 points in 551 games.
He has received the Blue Jackets' Community Service Player Award for his involvement in Down's Syndrome and Cystic Fibrosis causes.
Umberger won the team's MVP award for the 2011-12 season.
His Blue Jackets iron-man-streak record ended this past season after playing in 288 consecutive games.
Michael Love is a staff writer with Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-388-5825 or at email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Taillon headed for surgery, Richard traded
- Russian winger Plotnikov could join Penguins in August
- Ex-teammates say Kessel unfairly criticized
- Pirates can’t overcome long rain delay, Indians in interleague setback
- New Penguin Kessel’s shot is what makes him special
- Bethel trio of siblings celebrate 150 years of marriage
- Homewood West woman charged after stabbing woman during card game
- Tiny black weevils booming in W.Pa.
- Man fatally shot in East Liberty; police investigating 2nd shooting
- America’s path to freedom reflected in region’s numerous historic sites
- City police investigate death in Squirrel Hill