Freeport duo improve times at cross country state final
By Paul Kogut
Published: Sunday, November 4, 2012, 5:18 p.m.
Updated: Tuesday, February 19, 2013
HERSHEY — Freeport senior Kayla Zboran, a four-time state qualifier in cross country, believes it's not all about where she places in a race. Her times matter in a big way, too.
Zboran finished 42nd with a time of 20 minutes, 23 seconds in Saturday's PIAA Class AA girls cross country final at the 3.1-mile Parkview Course.
It wasn't Zboran's best place finish at states, but it was her best time there.
“I'm chill about it,” Zboran said. “I felt like I ran a good race overall. It was my best time at states, and that's all that counts.”
As a freshman, Zboran finished 34th at states (20:44). She was 68th (21:13) as a sophomore and 52nd (20:53) as a junior.
The PIAA expanded from two classifications to three this season. Freeport stayed in Class AA, but many Class AAA schools dropped to Class AA, making for a tougher overall field of runners.
For Zboran to compare her place finish at states with past seasons is difficult. However, she improved her time, regardless of the competition.
Zboran, also a standout in track, is considering continuing her career at Washington & Jefferson.
Freeport junior Rebecca Dudek also improved her time at states this year but fell in place. Dudek finished 77th (20:55) this season. She claimed 60th (21:00) a year ago.
Dudek said the Freeport entourage enjoyed the weekend.
“We had a blast,” she said. “It was fun to be here. You realize why you love this sport. I ran a better race, and it was a good finish.”
In the six state championship races, no runner or team from the WPIAL took home a title.
Saturday's weather was chilly, with temperatures in the 40s, but Zboran and Dudek preferred running in cooler conditions than the hot weather in which the WPIAL championships were conducted. Also, despite heavy rain throughout the week, both said the course held up well, with only a few muddy patches.
Paul Kogut is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or 724-224-2696.
- Kovacevic: It’s about time for these Penguins
- Steelers veteran outside linebacker Woodley: ‘I’m good to go’
- Steelers notebook: Slimmed-down Redman optimistic for 2013
- Senators on cusp of ouster against Penguins
- Penguins turn Game 4 into a blowout victory over the Senators
- Steelers’ Miller watches, waits while teammates practice
- Neal, Iginla get back on track to lead Penguins
- Pirates outfielder Snider certainly proving to be (big) hit
- Penguins notebook: Morrow sits; Bylsma changes lineup
- Starter Liriano impressive again as Pirates blank Cubs
- Pirates notebook: Morton could be back in early June
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.