Bullskin Township youth hoops basketball league tips off for season
TribLIVE Sports Videos
It's basketball time again and coordinators with the Upward Basketball program, hosted by Pennsville Baptist Church in Bullskin Township, are ready for this year's season to begin.
Upward Basketball director John Kurtz said the fourth-year program is open to any child aged 4 and up, including sixth-graders throughout the community.
He said he has received many calls from interested parents, and he believes the relatively new program will have even more kids than last season.
“I feel very, very good about this season,” Kurtz said.
According to Kurtz, word is spreading about the league, which is helping it to grow.
“With this league, every child gets equal playing time,” he said. “It's a great league for your child to have a good time and have the chance to play.”
The season kicks off Saturday with the first round of player evaluations for children who will be playing in the league. The second round of evaluations will be Nov. 24.
Kurtz said interested children do not require any basketball experience or skills, but evaluations are held in an effort to balance the talent levels on all the teams.
Evaluations will be from 9 to 10 a.m. (last names A through M) and 10 to 11 a.m. (last names N through Z).
Practices begin the week of Dec. 10. Once the child is assigned to a team, the respective coaches will call the parents to set up practice days and times.
Kurtz said they would prefer to have participants registered by Nov. 24 in order to be part of the evaluations. However, the program will accept individuals until January, if needed. The first games are set for Jan. 5, and a season-ending banquet will be March 9.
Registration forms can be filled out and payments made at the time of evaluations. The cost is $50 per child, which covers the cost of team jerseys and other program-related items. The purchase of matching Upward Basketball shorts ($12) is optional.
Registration forms are available at the church office between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. Monday through Friday.
For information, contact Kurtz at 724-880-4265, the Pennsville Baptist Church at 724-887-5200 or email Kurtz at email@example.com.
Rachel Basinger is a freelance writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Jury acquits defendant in Mt. Oliver murder case
- Steelers’ Roethlisberger remains in concussion protocol
- Downtown barbershop target of racial-slur graffiti
- Authorities recover rifle used to kill Westmoreland police officer
- Agreement on Scaife personal information clears way for will dispute to proceed
- Council votes to ban tobacco use in Pittsburgh parks
- Penguins’ reshuffled top line of Crosby, Dupuis, Kunitz looks familiar
- Founder of Z&M Cycle Sales in Hempfield killed in Florida motorcycle crash
- Driver fined almost $700 in fatal Apollo pedestrian accident
- Shell closing Franklin Park office next year
- Former Connellsville police officer wants sex-trade case dismissed