Hampton swimming team has new coach
TribLIVE Sports Videos
With a swimming background that stems to high school, Alex Kubicek has aspirations of being able to forge a program the way he feels it should be done.
The former Pitt swimmer and college prep team coach was a football player in high school who decided to give swimming a go in high school and found he really liked it.
“I was recruited by colleges — Pitt was one of them — and I swam on some Big East-winning teams,” Kubicek said. “I wanted to be the head guy (somewhere) and run a program the way I thought it should be run. I think Hampton has a smart group (of student athletes), and I want to take them far.”
The quest to help the Talbots reach full potential begins with captains Jake Kocsis and his brother, Ben.
“Jake has shown great potential and is a Naval Academy hopeful,” Kubicek said. “Ben has shown potential, too, and they both do well with leadership.”
On the girls side, Kubicek is happy to have two more captains — Kristin McKnight and Angela Petrisko — who are strong leaders.
“I came in, and I didn't know anyone, and nobody knew me,” Kubicek said. “We instituted goal meetings with each swimmer where we talked about best two or three events and goals times and academic goals. Then we talked about how they want to get there.”
Team goals also were a part of those conversations.
“The team has to come together at the pool and in school,” he said. “We want to become a true All-American-type team. The kids have responded well to it.”
The goals may be sizeable, especially because Hampton jumped up to the Class AAA ranks this season, but Kubicek said he has several swimmers on the brink of qualifying times after eight weeks of training.
“It's nice to see the structure and the heartfelt (nature) of this team,” he said. “The past couple of years there have been different coaches, but the only way for this to work is for the coaches and swimmers find a common ground. We want to do that and stay positive in the pool and in school.”
Jerry Clark is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-779-6979 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Liriano, Pirates beat Giants, inch closer to lead in NL Central
- Pirates think Mercer’s defense deserves more credit
- Roundup: Study finds 35 percent in US facing debt collectors; JPMorgan paying $650K to settle CFTC charges; more
- Rayburn businessman honored for charitable work
- Starkey: Would one big move kill Pirates’ future?
- Steelers offensive linemen looking to build on strong 2013 finish
- Tech giants lead rush for profits in foreign countries
- Pirates inquire about Red Sox LHP Lester
- Fed to keep cards close to the vest
- Woman who stabbed while naked in McKees Rocks believed to be in New Kensington area
- Valley resident new CEO at Jefferson