Armstrong area hockey well represented in all-stars
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Armstrong area hockey players will again appear throughout the PIHL all-star lineups, which were released late Wednesday night.
Ten locals will represent the Northeast Conference in the Class A contest, which will begin at 1 p.m. Feb. 10 at the Robert Morris University Island Sports Center.
Freeport forwards Cole Hepler and Greg Newman, defensemen Brendon Zack and John Bird, and goaltenders Dom Digiacobbe and Matt Huston earned spots on the team. Forward Justin Drzemiecki received an alternate designation. The variety of the selections served as a nod to the well-rounded play of the Yellowjackets, who've allowed just 27 goals in 11 games on the way to an 8-2-1 record.
Kittanning forwards Hunter Grafton, Christian Miller and Eli Johns as well as defender Mike Kelly made the Northeast roster, and goaltender Cameron Langham was chosen as an alternate. Coach Jamie King will serve as a Northeast assistant. The Wildcats (7-3-1) rank second in Class A in goals scored per game (6.8), and they've allowed just 36 goals.
At least three players from Ford City will compete for the Northeast Conference in the Open Class all-star game, which begins at 11 a.m. Feb. 10 at the Island Sports Center. Forward Jesse Valasek, defenseman Joe Cippel and goalie Adam Cogley earned the honor. Two other Sabers, forward Eric Lindey and defenseman John Phelps, were named alternates. Ford City coach Glen Kilgore will serve as the man in charge of the Northeast squad. The Sabers (9-1-1) lead the Open Class in scoring (10 goals per game) and have allowed just 25 goals.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers QB Roethlisberger not targeting Oct. 25 return
- Penguins make moves in advance of roster deadline
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin not worried about Jones’ lack of sacks
- Medical Examiner identifies Baldwin Borough couple who died in murder-suicide
- Penguins rally in wake of Dupuis injury
- Wolf still seeking to raise income tax, impose tax on shale-gas drilling
- Johnstown man accused of sexual misconduct at state park
- Cat found shot with arrow in Penn Township expected to survive
- Top U.S. general wants more troops in Afghanistan
- Starkey: Searage, Pirates ultra-confident
- Abbas appeals for end to chaos with Israel