Lower Burrell fighter wins pro MMA debut
By D.j. Vasil
Published: Saturday, January 26, 2013, 10:52 p.m.
Updated: Saturday, January 26, 2013
It couldn't have gone much better for Lower Burrell's Dominic “The Honeybadger” Mazzotta, who made his professional Mixed Martial Arts debut on Saturday night.
Mazzotta defeated Doug Hodges by submission, via rear-naked choke just 1:30 into the first round, during the Gladiators of the Cage “North Shore's Rise To Power” at Stage AE.
Mazzotta, 25, won his first fight in the featherweight division (145 pounds).
“It was different, Mazzotta said. “I was more nervous than usual. I knew what I had to do and I got the job done. I wanted to end it as quick as I could.”
Mazzotta finished 7-1 as an amateur fighter in the North American Allied Fight Series and left the NAAFS as the featherweight champion before turning pro.
“This was my first Pennsylvania and pro fight,” Mazzotta said. “I had a lot of people coming to see it, and I didn't want to drop the ball. “I wanted to give them what they were looking for.”
- Kovacevic: Matt Cooke 1, Ottawa Senators 0
- Letang dazzles with dynamic play in Game 5 win
- Penguins rout Senators, return to Eastern Conference final
- Alfredsson ponders his future
- Pirates waste strong Burnett start, fall again to Brewers at Miller Park
- Penguins notebook: Tickets for Eastern Conference final on sale today
- Pirates notebook: Bucs shut down injured Karstens
- Marine restores pride of Memorial Day parade on streets of Lawrenceville
- 16-year-old girl shot and killed on Rankin street
- Mix-up at poll could impact Freeport Area School Board race
- Smoking in school costs man more than a fine
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.