Lower Burrell fighter wins pro MMA debut
TribLIVE Sports Videos
It couldn't have gone much better for Lower Burrell's Dominic “The Honeybadger” Mazzotta, who made his professional Mixed Martial Arts debut on Saturday night.
Mazzotta defeated Doug Hodges by submission, via rear-naked choke just 1:30 into the first round, during the Gladiators of the Cage “North Shore's Rise To Power” at Stage AE.
Mazzotta, 25, won his first fight in the featherweight division (145 pounds).
“It was different, Mazzotta said. “I was more nervous than usual. I knew what I had to do and I got the job done. I wanted to end it as quick as I could.”
Mazzotta finished 7-1 as an amateur fighter in the North American Allied Fight Series and left the NAAFS as the featherweight champion before turning pro.
“This was my first Pennsylvania and pro fight,” Mazzotta said. “I had a lot of people coming to see it, and I didn't want to drop the ball. “I wanted to give them what they were looking for.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Capitals dominate overmatched Penguins in victory at Verizon Center
- Starkey: What are Penguins, Pirates up to?
- Lapierre eager to make mark with Penguins
- Penn Hills man charged in robbery of The Exchange in Ross
- Dixon vows to fix Pitt’s long-distance dilemma
- Latrobe earns return trip to WPIAL Class AAA wrestling semifinals
- Breen’s long passes key to Cardinal Wuerl North Catholic’s fast break
- Woman charged in Jan. 4 homicide outside Brighton Heights tavern
- HS highlight reel: PIAA approves Clairton sanctions
- Ex-Aliquippa, Pitt star Revis finally realizes Super Bowl dream
- Gorman: Big 33 streak one to savor