Lower Burrell fighter wins pro MMA debut
TribLIVE Sports Videos
It couldn't have gone much better for Lower Burrell's Dominic “The Honeybadger” Mazzotta, who made his professional Mixed Martial Arts debut on Saturday night.
Mazzotta defeated Doug Hodges by submission, via rear-naked choke just 1:30 into the first round, during the Gladiators of the Cage “North Shore's Rise To Power” at Stage AE.
Mazzotta, 25, won his first fight in the featherweight division (145 pounds).
“It was different, Mazzotta said. “I was more nervous than usual. I knew what I had to do and I got the job done. I wanted to end it as quick as I could.”
Mazzotta finished 7-1 as an amateur fighter in the North American Allied Fight Series and left the NAAFS as the featherweight champion before turning pro.
“This was my first Pennsylvania and pro fight,” Mazzotta said. “I had a lot of people coming to see it, and I didn't want to drop the ball. “I wanted to give them what they were looking for.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Robbery, other counts held against Glassport suspect
- Pirates come back to take series from Padres
- Rain plays havoc with American Legion teams
- East Deer police chase ends in arrest
- Starkey: Is this Huntington’s best Bucs team?
- Pirates notebook: Kang settling in to comfort zone
- Mother of Wilkinsburg toddler found dead in ravine charged with her murder
- 92-year-old Rostraver home invasion victim questioned by suspect in court
- Mt. Pleasant Borough councilwoman swaps role to deliver ‘apology’
- U.S. job openings stay high, but actual hiring falters in May
- Weather puts county emergency operations into ‘storm mode’