Lower Burrell fighter wins pro MMA debut
TribLIVE Sports Videos
It couldn't have gone much better for Lower Burrell's Dominic “The Honeybadger” Mazzotta, who made his professional Mixed Martial Arts debut on Saturday night.
Mazzotta defeated Doug Hodges by submission, via rear-naked choke just 1:30 into the first round, during the Gladiators of the Cage “North Shore's Rise To Power” at Stage AE.
Mazzotta, 25, won his first fight in the featherweight division (145 pounds).
“It was different, Mazzotta said. “I was more nervous than usual. I knew what I had to do and I got the job done. I wanted to end it as quick as I could.”
Mazzotta finished 7-1 as an amateur fighter in the North American Allied Fight Series and left the NAAFS as the featherweight champion before turning pro.
“This was my first Pennsylvania and pro fight,” Mazzotta said. “I had a lot of people coming to see it, and I didn't want to drop the ball. “I wanted to give them what they were looking for.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers not limiting themselves in free agency
- Coyotes proliferate despite year-round hunting
- Rossi: Pirates must pay for Mr. Right
- Burnett’s farewell tour wishlist has just 1 item: Pirates World Series
- Under Rutherford, it’s been a sizeable shakeup for Penguins
- Winnik impresses Penguins in first workout
- Pirates notebook: Infield prospect Hanson used to playing elders
- Big names become available this week via free agency; will Steelers be tempted?
- Greensburg pair jailed in convenience store robbery
- Men become focus of stores’ personal service efforts
- Despite challenging weather, home sales continue to rise