Lower Burrell fighter wins pro MMA debut
TribLIVE Sports Videos
It couldn't have gone much better for Lower Burrell's Dominic “The Honeybadger” Mazzotta, who made his professional Mixed Martial Arts debut on Saturday night.
Mazzotta defeated Doug Hodges by submission, via rear-naked choke just 1:30 into the first round, during the Gladiators of the Cage “North Shore's Rise To Power” at Stage AE.
Mazzotta, 25, won his first fight in the featherweight division (145 pounds).
“It was different, Mazzotta said. “I was more nervous than usual. I knew what I had to do and I got the job done. I wanted to end it as quick as I could.”
Mazzotta finished 7-1 as an amateur fighter in the North American Allied Fight Series and left the NAAFS as the featherweight champion before turning pro.
“This was my first Pennsylvania and pro fight,” Mazzotta said. “I had a lot of people coming to see it, and I didn't want to drop the ball. “I wanted to give them what they were looking for.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Hotel building boom sweeps Pittsburgh region
- Americans support strict rules for drones in poll
- Michigan State defensive coordinator a Pitt coaching candidate
- Plum’s defense seals win over McKeesport
- Steelers notebook: Polamalu, Taylor unlikely to play, Harrison ‘ready’
- Pitt: Football coach hire comes 1st, athletic director 2nd
- Washington County man dies following fire at apartment complex
- Musician embraced education, photography
- High school roundup: No. 4 Bethel Park boys edge USC
- Greensburg high school roundup: Hempfield downs Penn-Trafford to stay unbeaten
- Penguins’ defensive depth proves valuable