Lower Burrell fighter wins pro MMA debut
TribLIVE Sports Videos
It couldn't have gone much better for Lower Burrell's Dominic “The Honeybadger” Mazzotta, who made his professional Mixed Martial Arts debut on Saturday night.
Mazzotta defeated Doug Hodges by submission, via rear-naked choke just 1:30 into the first round, during the Gladiators of the Cage “North Shore's Rise To Power” at Stage AE.
Mazzotta, 25, won his first fight in the featherweight division (145 pounds).
“It was different, Mazzotta said. “I was more nervous than usual. I knew what I had to do and I got the job done. I wanted to end it as quick as I could.”
Mazzotta finished 7-1 as an amateur fighter in the North American Allied Fight Series and left the NAAFS as the featherweight champion before turning pro.
“This was my first Pennsylvania and pro fight,” Mazzotta said. “I had a lot of people coming to see it, and I didn't want to drop the ball. “I wanted to give them what they were looking for.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates’ McCutchen laughs off pay stub leak
- Ireland voters expected to OK gay marriage
- Connellsville’s Wiltrout sets another record, wins 2nd PIAA title
- Eiffel Tower temporarily shut down as employees walk out
- Murray, Alpha notify West Virginia coal miners of layoffs
- Allegheny County cutting ties with Corizon Health following death of 2 inmates at county jail
- Local man celebrates 50th birthday with family and friends
- Steelers offensive line targeting injury-free performance as key
- Pedestrian struck, killed by train in Coraopolis
- Trooper fatally shoots burglary suspect inside Somerset Twp. grocery store
- Baldwin-Whitehall teacher charged with assault for hitting male student in chest