Lower Burrell fighter wins pro MMA debut
TribLIVE Sports Videos
It couldn't have gone much better for Lower Burrell's Dominic “The Honeybadger” Mazzotta, who made his professional Mixed Martial Arts debut on Saturday night.
Mazzotta defeated Doug Hodges by submission, via rear-naked choke just 1:30 into the first round, during the Gladiators of the Cage “North Shore's Rise To Power” at Stage AE.
Mazzotta, 25, won his first fight in the featherweight division (145 pounds).
“It was different, Mazzotta said. “I was more nervous than usual. I knew what I had to do and I got the job done. I wanted to end it as quick as I could.”
Mazzotta finished 7-1 as an amateur fighter in the North American Allied Fight Series and left the NAAFS as the featherweight champion before turning pro.
“This was my first Pennsylvania and pro fight,” Mazzotta said. “I had a lot of people coming to see it, and I didn't want to drop the ball. “I wanted to give them what they were looking for.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Jobs on state website include ‘private party dancing,’ ‘car dates’
- Penguins notebook: Crosby ‘confident’ despite limited preseason time
- Former Steelers doctor loses bid for Miranda protection
- Fans flock to what they hope will continue ‘magical season’
- PennDOT to install art murals along Route 28
- Dining news: Smokey Bones Bar & Fire Grill unveils new menu
- Art Review: ‘Pittsburgh Biennial 2014’ at Carnegie Mellon University’s Miller Gallery
- Steelers’ Tomlin does not like his coaching style to be characterized
- So Many Questions: Cary Elwes’s memoir offers a look at the filming of ‘The Princess Bride’
- Advocacy groups call for closer scrutiny of charter schools
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin bringing officials to practice