Batiz wins silver at gymnastics championship
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Ford City senior Courtney Batiz returned home from USA Gymnastics Eastern National Championships with something to show from her final junior event.
Batiz, representing her gym, Ultimate Gymnastics in Delmont, scored a 9.2 in the vault competition to finish tied for second and claim a silver medal from the meet May 1-5 in Battle Creek, Mich.
Batiz's vault score was one of two top-10 event finishes as she also scored a 9.1 on balance beam to place seventh. She also scored a 9.1 on the uneven bars and an 8.925 on the floor exercise for a 10th-place all-around score of 36.325.
The Eastern Nationals and its western counterpart are the final stage of national competition for Level 9 gymnasts — SA Gymnastics' second-highest level. Batiz was one of 24 gymnasts in her age group who qualified to compete at the event.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates show depth in earning victory over Rockies; Polanco has big night
- Despite being suspended, Boyd still making contributions for Pitt
- Healthy, confident Steelers LB Shazier ready for full speed ahead
- Timing drives former KHL star Plotnikov
- ‘Action’ against AG Kane sent to Supreme Court, sources say
- LaBar: The upgrade of The Wyatt Family in WWE
- Charleroi looking to turn the corner
- WVU sophomore linebacker Preston draws heavy praise
- County police officer on leave after assault charges filed
- Historic WWII-era landing ship tank docking at Heinz Field
- Pitt’s Narduzzi names 4 captains