Batiz wins silver at gymnastics championship
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Ford City senior Courtney Batiz returned home from USA Gymnastics Eastern National Championships with something to show from her final junior event.
Batiz, representing her gym, Ultimate Gymnastics in Delmont, scored a 9.2 in the vault competition to finish tied for second and claim a silver medal from the meet May 1-5 in Battle Creek, Mich.
Batiz's vault score was one of two top-10 event finishes as she also scored a 9.1 on balance beam to place seventh. She also scored a 9.1 on the uneven bars and an 8.925 on the floor exercise for a 10th-place all-around score of 36.325.
The Eastern Nationals and its western counterpart are the final stage of national competition for Level 9 gymnasts — SA Gymnastics' second-highest level. Batiz was one of 24 gymnasts in her age group who qualified to compete at the event.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Syrian border town emerges as pivot point in Islamic State fight
- Pirates must weigh risk, reward in attempt to sign Martin
- Penguins rebound with shutout of Predators
- Penguins’ Crosby OK with Neal comments about trade
- For Luck family, a father-son success story
- Starkey: Chryst missed his only shot
- CDC’s misinformation spreads faster than Ebola virus
- Giants surge past Royals, even World Series
- Pa. Supreme Court in ‘sad state’ as scandals tarnish reputation
- Robinson: Rooney retains North Side roots
- Freeport grad Turner is leader among Presidents