Batiz wins silver at gymnastics championship
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Ford City senior Courtney Batiz returned home from USA Gymnastics Eastern National Championships with something to show from her final junior event.
Batiz, representing her gym, Ultimate Gymnastics in Delmont, scored a 9.2 in the vault competition to finish tied for second and claim a silver medal from the meet May 1-5 in Battle Creek, Mich.
Batiz's vault score was one of two top-10 event finishes as she also scored a 9.1 on balance beam to place seventh. She also scored a 9.1 on the uneven bars and an 8.925 on the floor exercise for a 10th-place all-around score of 36.325.
The Eastern Nationals and its western counterpart are the final stage of national competition for Level 9 gymnasts — SA Gymnastics' second-highest level. Batiz was one of 24 gymnasts in her age group who qualified to compete at the event.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Johnston must reach Malkin in Moscow
- Steelers are in familiar territory going into training camp in Latrobe
- New Penguins coach to meet with Malkin
- Liriano, Snider lift Pirates to a victory over Dodgers at PNC Park
- Pirates notebook: Recovering Cole exceeds expectations in simulated game
- Fitzgerald stacks legislative wins as Allegheny council members struggle
- Hookah bar on tap for Greensburg
- Truck drivers taken to hospital after Pa. Turnpike crash in Butler County
- Rising number of health care workers have less than 4-year degree, study shows
- Young Plum golfer Wes Lorish making his mark
- State Senate hires lawyer, considers suing Corbett