Daily News roundup: Hot Shots Saloon sweeps twinbill
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Hot Shots Saloon had a tough time with last-place Cinello Insurance on Saturday before coming back from an early five-run deficit for a 15-7 victory in the first game of a doubleheader.
Randy Dobnak went 1 for 2, but his hit was key. He smacked a three-run homer, which was the big blow in a 10-run third inning that gave Hot Shots Saloon a 10-5 lead. Chad Brown went 2 for 4 with three RBI, a stolen base and a run scored.
In the nightcap, Logan Corrigan hit a two-run homer in the first and Anthony Monaco made it stand up as Hot Shots Saloon completed the sweep with a 3-2 victory.
Hot Shots Saloon (6-8) remained locked into the sixth and final Daily News League playoff spot.
Steel Towne Inn 9, Harvey Wilner's Tavern 5 (6 inn.) — Steel Towne Inn took control with eight runs in the bottom first inning. Leadoff hitter Sean Samsa went 3 for 3, walked once, scored three runs and drove in another.
Starting pitcher Cody McClelland overcame a rough first to toss four scoreless innings. Jordan Ault pitched a scoreless sixth.
Klingensmith Insurance 13, Clancy's Pub 2 (6 inn.) — Things haven't gone according to plan for Klingensmith Insurance, but maybe a 10-run-rule victory will get the Blue Jays on the right track.
The Klingensmith Insurance lineup combined to go 5 for 12 with two walks, four RBI and eight runs scored. Ryan Badzgon went 2 for 2 with a double and three RBI, while Aaron Kull went 3 for 4 and drove in two.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins see Stars, blanked by Dallas in opening game
- Steelers quarterback Vick getting more acquainted with offense
- Police: Woman, 18, pretended to be student, assaulted Perry principal
- Starkey: Pirates gaining bad big-game rep
- Kennametal HQ relocation rankles Westmoreland County business leadership
- Pirates notebook: Fastball command issues hurt Cole against Cubs
- A field day on social media as Pirates’ Rodriguez attacks Gatorade cooler
- Steelers hoping to establish run early against San Diego
- What’s old is new at Toll Gate Revival in Lawrenceville
- Clerical error blamed as Armstrong inmate is released
- Ohio woman will be millionth passenger to fly out of Arnold Palmer airport