Plum Youth Soccer set for big tourney
TribLIVE Sports Videos
For the past 15 years, Plum Youth Soccer has begun its fall season with one of the biggest youth tournaments in the region.
This year, the tradition continues.
Larry Mills Community Park in Plum will be the hub of activity Friday, Saturday and Sunday as teams from all over western Pennsylvania will gather for the annual Kick-Off Classic.
“It is always a very exciting tournament,” tournament director Jamie Stewart said.
“It is a great time for kids to play some exciting soccer.”
Plum teams in divisions U10, U11, U12, U13 and U14 will take on 145 teams from all over the area.
Local teams include those from Murrysville, Monroeville, Penn Hills, Trafford, Fox Chapel, Freeport, Moon Township, North Huntingdon and the communities that serve the North Allegheny School District.
Stewart said there will be a Gold and Silver bracket for the U10 and U12 divisions to provide more competitive matches in those divisions.
Stewart said the tournament couldn't happen with out the support of volunteers such as parents and board members, as well as a great deal of assistance from Plum Borough.
“Everyone's help is appreciated,” Stewart said.
Tournament action kicks off Friday at 6 p.m. with mostly local teams in action in order to give teams coming the farthest distance extra time to travel.
Friday games will be every hour through 9 p.m.
On Saturday, games begin at 8 a.m. and run through 8 p.m.
Games also will start at 8 a.m. on Sunday and continue until the championship semifinals and finals begin in the afternoon.
There will be eight games played simultaneously throughout the entire weekend.
Plum Youth Soccer will also have a festival-type area with games, entertainment, food and other items for sale.
In addition to the Larry Mills location, games also will be played at the Boyce Park soccer fields, the Penn Hall fields on Old Frankstown Road and the field at CCAC-Boyce.
The tournament schedule, along with directions to the facilities, can be found at www.plumsoccer.org.
Michael Love is a staff writer with Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412- 388-5825 or at email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Looking at the next great Steeler
- Steelers swap draft pick for Eagles cornerback
- After early criticism, Haley has Steelers offense poised to be even better
- McCullers’, McLendon’s prowess in clogging trenches crucial to Steelers defense
- Reds solve Cole, stave off Pirates’ 9th-inning rally
- Starting 9: Examining Pirates’ deadline decisions
- Pirates notebook: New acquisition Happ more than happy to fill spot in rotation
- Penguins not alone in top-heavy approach to salary cap
- Biertempfel: Players, MLB agree logic of season’s setup needs to be examined
- Inside the Steelers: QB Jones continues to get majority of snaps
- Steelers notebook: Injuries finally become issue at training camp