Conboy repeats as Whitehall 5K Run champion
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Casey Conboy, 14, retained his championship in the Whitehall 5K Run.
The Whitehall teen repeated as the overall titlist at this year's race held Saturday at Mowry Park, finishing with a winning time of 17:47.
Conboy shaved more than three minutes off his winning time (21:10) from last year.
Jennifer Haffner, 21, took first place in the open women's division with a time of 18:07. She placed third overall.
The age division titlists among male runners were Christian Barr, 12; Jack Mezeivtch, 13; Ryan Wierzchowski, 16; A.J. Gambino, 24; Keenan Cokain, 28; Terry Bradford, 31; Pat Joyce, 39; Jonathan Sula, 42; Mitch Radella, 48; Jim Kaufman, 52; Gene Smith, 57; and George Spencer, 67.
Age division winners among female contestants were Heidi Johnston, 10; Abbey Larkin, 13; Coco Perri, 17; Kimberly Fierst, 24; Marie Eanes-Fennelly, 25; April Dercak, 33; Shauntai Hill, 35; Lori Mezeivtch, 42; Peggy LaQuatra, 48; Eileen Stanford, 51; and Cindy Holland, 55.
LaQuatra was the top overall female runner in last year's race. She improved from a 23:12 time in 2012 to a 21:53 time in 2013.
Matthew Schnek, 6 years old, was the youngest competitor in the race. Eli Traud, Ava Vavro and Maximilian Tiriobo, all 8, also participated.
Ryan and Zachary Wierzchowski, both 16, finished one-two in the male 16-19 age division, and second and fourth overall. Ryan posted a time of 18:02; Zachary registered a time of 18:26.
Coco and Kristen Perry, 18, placed first and second in the female 16-19 age division with times of 24:49 and 26:43, respectively.
Ray Fisher is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at 412-388-5820 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- NASA head tells Pitt grads their generation will ‘walk the face of Mars’
- Fire caused $75,000 in damage to Beltzhoover playground
- From injuries to front office, Penguins’ season didn’t lack drama
- Rossi: Penguins’ best bet is on Martin
- Man fatally stabbed in Braddock Hills
- Spirit Airlines lifts fortunes of Arnold Palmer Regional Airport
- Aftershocks terrify survivors of quake in Nepal that killed 2,500
- Young defensemen make case for future with Penguins
- High risk, reward with 1st-round quarterbacks in NFL Draft
- Rossi: Crosby, Malkin didn’t sign on for this
- Crews battle 5-alarm fire at North Union industrial building