Burrell to hold Labor Day weekend hockey tournament
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Though the buzz surrounds fall sports as September arrives, interscholastic hockey also is in the mix this weekend at the Trib Total Media Pittsburgh Ice Arena in New Kensington.
Burrell's hockey organization will hold a tournament there for the second straight year. An expanded event from a year ago, the tournament, sponsored by the Harmarville-based Pittsburgh Junior Vengeance hockey team, includes four middle school and four junior varsity teams in separate divisions. Each division will include round-robin play and a playoff.
In the junior varsity division are Burrell, Fox Chapel, Kiski Area and Pittsburgh Central Catholic.
In the middle school division are Burrell, Butler, Fox Chapel and Kiski Area.
Burrell and Fox Chapel's middle school teams will open the tournament with a 9 p.m. game Friday night. A ceremonial puck drop to acknowledge the Pittsburgh Junior Vengeance's contributions will be held beforehand.
Games will be played from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Saturday and 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday.
Admission is free. A Chinese auction and other attractions will be available to help raise funds for Burrell's hockey club, which hopes to increase interest in the program so that it can soon field a “pure” PIHL varsity team — Burrell operates as a co-op, so players from Valley, Penn Hills and elsewhere can join the team.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers sign former star LB Harrison; Tomlin talks ‘different climate’
- Steelers’ Taylor recovering from forearm surgery
- Cranberry police trying to ID repeat burglary suspect
- West Virginia notebook: Holgorsen likes energy level as Mountaineers head into bye week
- Experts weighing in on how to fight Pa.’s heroin problem
- Attorney general rejects Tribune-Review request for ‘racy’ emails
- Jury acquits Stowe man of charges related to bar shooting
- Port Authority: Drivers ‘reckless’ before buses bumped, wrecking 1
- Steelers defense must replace 3 injured starters after victory
- Pittsburgh teacher accused of choking, pushing student acquitted
- Suspects in killing of 3 Israeli teens slain