Burrell to hold Labor Day weekend hockey tournament
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Though the buzz surrounds fall sports as September arrives, interscholastic hockey also is in the mix this weekend at the Trib Total Media Pittsburgh Ice Arena in New Kensington.
Burrell's hockey organization will hold a tournament there for the second straight year. An expanded event from a year ago, the tournament, sponsored by the Harmarville-based Pittsburgh Junior Vengeance hockey team, includes four middle school and four junior varsity teams in separate divisions. Each division will include round-robin play and a playoff.
In the junior varsity division are Burrell, Fox Chapel, Kiski Area and Pittsburgh Central Catholic.
In the middle school division are Burrell, Butler, Fox Chapel and Kiski Area.
Burrell and Fox Chapel's middle school teams will open the tournament with a 9 p.m. game Friday night. A ceremonial puck drop to acknowledge the Pittsburgh Junior Vengeance's contributions will be held beforehand.
Games will be played from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Saturday and 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday.
Admission is free. A Chinese auction and other attractions will be available to help raise funds for Burrell's hockey club, which hopes to increase interest in the program so that it can soon field a “pure” PIHL varsity team — Burrell operates as a co-op, so players from Valley, Penn Hills and elsewhere can join the team.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Clues to Chief Justice John Roberts’ thinking on new ObamaCare case
- Builder finds calling as chaplain at Westmoreland jail
- Henry: Day of shopping planned at Connellsville library
- Time capsule salutes 250 years for Fort Pitt Block House
- Pirates enter Plan B with Martin off market
- Staten scores 21 to lead West Virginia to upset of No. 17 Connecticut
- Islamic State recruits, exploits children for many roles in Iraq, Syria
- Police code of conduct aims to curb unlawful seizures from motorists
- Alle-Kiski Valley high school notebook: Track and field club coming to Leechburg
- LaBar: Timing perfect for Sting’s debut at WWE’s Survivor Series
- Letter that inspired Beat poet Kerouac discovered