Burrell to hold Labor Day weekend hockey tournament
By Staff Report
Published: Thursday, Aug. 29, 2013, 11:06 p.m.
Though the buzz surrounds fall sports as September arrives, interscholastic hockey also is in the mix this weekend at the Trib Total Media Pittsburgh Ice Arena in New Kensington.
Burrell's hockey organization will hold a tournament there for the second straight year. An expanded event from a year ago, the tournament, sponsored by the Harmarville-based Pittsburgh Junior Vengeance hockey team, includes four middle school and four junior varsity teams in separate divisions. Each division will include round-robin play and a playoff.
In the junior varsity division are Burrell, Fox Chapel, Kiski Area and Pittsburgh Central Catholic.
In the middle school division are Burrell, Butler, Fox Chapel and Kiski Area.
Burrell and Fox Chapel's middle school teams will open the tournament with a 9 p.m. game Friday night. A ceremonial puck drop to acknowledge the Pittsburgh Junior Vengeance's contributions will be held beforehand.
Games will be played from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Saturday and 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday.
Admission is free. A Chinese auction and other attractions will be available to help raise funds for Burrell's hockey club, which hopes to increase interest in the program so that it can soon field a “pure” PIHL varsity team — Burrell operates as a co-op, so players from Valley, Penn Hills and elsewhere can join the team.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Garden Q&A: Firecracker vine OK for trellis?
- Kovacevic: Still waiting on Malkin, Crosby
- Rossi: Lack of together time showing for Penguins’ defense
- Shale oil, gas drilling boom wins favor with labor unions, thwarting environmentalists
- Norwin volleyball using fast-paced offense to offset lack of height at hitting positions
- Egg decorating turns to fight, charges in Brookline, police say
- Fleury a bright spot among struggling Penguins in playoffs
- ‘Common knowledge’ about slot machines often wrong
- LaBar: Did WWE referee know finish to Undertaker match?
- Community group to preserve Dravosburg cemetery’s history
- Cool chemistry: Programs at Springdale library take inspiration from late science professor