Hampton's Vodde chooses SRU for school, lacrosse
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Although a student-athletes senior year is on they look forward to for many years, having a post-high school plan secured can make that special year even more exciting.
That is the case for Hampton senior low attacker Breanne Vodde, as she has her senior season of lacrosse to look forward to, and already is committed to continue her education and lacrosse career at Slippery Rock University this fall.
Her recognition in the sport is remarkable because she only started to play lacrosse as a freshman.
“I had to work hard because I played softball and basketball as my main sports,” Vodde said. “Some of the skills like hand-eye coordination and awareness on the field translated over for me.
“I was a little surprised (to get college recognition) because so many kids play since they are 5 or 6 years old and because how big lacrosse is on the east coast, but I have played year round since I was a freshman.”
Vodde said she met the coach at Slippery Rock through her travel team, Intrepid Elite and the two hit it off, making the decision an easy one.
Vodde played for two teams for three seasons now, and will have been a three-year starter on the Hampton team.
“Making his decision has been a big load off my shoulders,” she said. “Now, I can enjoy my last year of high school and last season.”
Vodde said the ability to attack the offensive end and distribute the ball to open teammates are some of the skills she thinks her club and future college coach was pleased with and wanted to add to the team at Slippery Rock.
“I look to the goal, but I also try to help other players around me get better too,” Vodde said.
Although she is excited for college, her focus is on her season ahead, and helping bring along the younger players so the Lady Talbots can have a successful run this year.
“We are a close group and know each other well,” Vodde said. “We have good chemistry too, and know how to play with one another. That will help us have a great season.”
Jerry Clark is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-779-6979 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- In reworking contract, Steelers WR Brown gets hefty pay raise
- No bitter brew for Mercer over reduced playing time after injury
- Pirates notebook: 6 September call-ups include first-timer Diaz
- Steelers notebook: New kicker Scobee relishes opportunity
- ‘Cadillac tax’ hangs over insurance costs
- Youngstown State seeks repeat performance against Pitt
- NFL notebook: Jaguars TE Thomas to have surgery, miss 3 games
- 2-year-old boy shot, killed in North Side
- Steelers notebook: LB Harrison believes Goodell will prevail in Brady ruling
- Bomb squad investigating suspicious package at Murrysville Post Office
- World War II ship welcomed by cheers in Ambridge