Greensburg Salem basketball great Ray Greene passes
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Ray Greene, a star basketball player at Greensburg Salem High School and California (Pa,) University (then State College) passed away Dec. 31. He was 65.
Greene played at California from 1968-71, where he scored 1,606 points. He helped the Vulcans to their first Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference title in 1970.
The 1969-70 Vulcans also competed in the NAIA tournament in Kansas City.
His career-high 51 points against Lock Haven still is the school record. He averaged 20 points per game in only 20 minutes per game.
Greene was a two-time All American, a three-time All-Conference player and the 1970 NAIA Region 18 Player of the year.
He was drafted by the Boston Celtics and the Pittsburgh Condors.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Lower Burrell couple charged with 6 misdemeanor counts of animal cruelty
- Woman accused of prescription scheme
- New Kensington dedicates fireworks festivities to longtime coordinator
- Funeral planned for Connellsville teen who died in crash
- Connellsville fireworks display gets change of site
- State store relocates to Highlands Mall
- Brackenridge gets $98K federal grant to fund waterline project
- Pam Porterfield: Church events, family reunions, benefits abound in Fayette County
- Rossi: Rutherford shines as old boss pouts
- New trial sought in 1977 murder case
- Liriano, Pirates complete sweep of Tigers