Record-setting performances highlight Norwin Aqua Club's month of competition
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Two members of the Norwin Aqua Club had record-setting performances earlier this month at the American Masters Junior Olympics at Bethel Park High School.
Cole Dorobish, 12, broke team records in the 100-yard breaststroke, 200 butterfly and 400 individual medley for his age group at the meet, while Eric Booth, 16, broke the team record in the 400 IM for his age group. Those record-setting performances highlighted a month of competition for Norwin.
At the Junior Olympics, Booth recorded first-place finishes in the 200 and 400 IM and 200 breast. He placed second in the 200 freestyle, third in the 200 fly and fifth in the 100 fly and 100 breast. Dorobish, 12, won the 50 and 100 breast and 200 fly, placed second in the 100 and 400 IM and took fourth in the 50 and 100 free. Hannah Rusinko, 15, won the 400 IM and placed third in the 500 free, 200 back and 200 fly; fourth in the 200 IM and 100 back; sixth in the 200 free; and eighth in the 100 fly and 200 breast.
Other Norwin swimmers to place at the Junior Olympics included Kathryn Painter, 16, who took second in the 200 back and 200 fly, third in the 100 fly, 200 IM and 200 free and fifth in the 100 breast; Jessica Cochran, 16, who finished sixth in the 100 back; and Grace Reynolds, 16, who placed eighth in the 100 breast.
Rusinko also competed in the American Masters Mini/Distance Meet at Seneca Valley this month, winning the 1,000 free and placing second in the 1,650 free.
In a dual meet Jan. 11, Norwin defeated Mt. Pleasant, 512-483. Booth, Dorobish and Breanna Ford led the way with three event victories each. Booth won the 200 IM, 100 back and 100 breast, Dorobish won the 100 IM, 50 back and 50 breast and Ford won the 200 IM, 100 fly and 100 back.
Preston Atkinson, Randi Booth, Sam Cholodofsky, Courteney Hubert, Allison Plassio and Casi Smith won two events apiece in their age divisions. Atkinson, 10, won the 50 and 100 free; Booth, 9, won the 100 free and 50 back; Cholodofsky, 11, won the 50 fly and 100 free; Hubert, 17, won the 200 IM and 100 back; Plassio, 12, won the 50 free and 50 fly; and Smith, 17, won the 50 and 100 free.
Single-event winners included Taylor Baker, 13, in the 50 free; Cochran in the 100 fly; Courtney Kosanovic, 12, in the 100 free; Joseph Palmquist, 16, in the 100 fly; Grace Reynolds, 16, in the 100 breast; and Sarah Todaro, 10, in the 100 IM. The mixed 9-10 200 medley, mixed 11-12 200 medley, mixed 13-18 200 medley, mixed 9-10 200 free and mixed 11-12 200 free relays also won.
— Submitted information
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Springdale Library to pay rent to borough
- Small retailers at intersection of social networks, foot traffic
- Pitt beats Syracuse, snaps 3-game losing streak
- Fox Chapel boys basketball team will rely on rotation for scoring
- High school football notebook: Official’s decision impacts WPIAL Class AAAA title game
- Woman on dating site looks too good to be true: How to vet that pic
- Starkey: No explaining Steelers, AFC North
- Need for new community college in Northwestern Pennsylvania questioned
- Fayette County Crime Victims Center fundraising house tour returns after break
- Allegheny County buck may prove to be state’s largest ever taken
- Jane Monheit swings in tribute to Judy Garland