High school prospect watch: Elijah Zeise
By Kevin Gorman
Published: Sunday, August 12, 2012, 12:01 a.m.
Updated: Tuesday, August 21, 2012
6-foot-2, 195 pounds, WR-CB, North Allegheny
How good of a prospect is Elijah Zeise?
He was the only sophomore to start on North Allegheny's WPIAL Class AAAA championship team last fall. And while he's likely to outgrow the cornerback position, he projects as a safety or linebacker.
Zeise opened eyes at prospect camps at Kent State, Maryland, Pitt and West Virginia this summer, showing his ability to be a shutdown defender in coverage. He's hearing from those schools, plus Michigan, but Pitt was the first to offer a scholarship, doing so Tuesday.
“I was a little shocked,” said Elijah, who has a 3.7 grade-point average. “It was kind of unexpected to happen as early as it did.”
Zeise also shines in basketball, where the swingman was named MVP of the Wheeling (W.Va.) Shootout, and his athleticism could help on offense at receiver for North Allegheny this season.
“Football is still relatively new to me,” Elijah said, “but I feel like I'm athletic enough and hard-working enough that wherever they put me I'll be able to adapt to it.”
- Penguins’ Shero talks with Letang’s agent
- NHL insider: Penguins’ Shero seems ready to move Letang
- Worthington-Kittanning wastes early lead, falls to Prospect
- Judge deals setback to Steelers’ quest to expand Heinz Field
- Pitt adds two more recruits
- Pirates notebook: Hurdle says offense needs to get rolling
- Three killed when minivan crashes into tree in Butler County
- Requirements change for Pittsburgh police officers who evaluate potential recruits
- Three-time Emmy winner, ‘Sopranos’ star James Gandolfini dead at 51
- Steelers rookie safety Thomas learning from Polamalu, Clark
- Daily Courier roundup: Connellsville tops Waynesburg in Fayette Legion action
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.