High school prospect watch: Elijah Zeise
TribLIVE Sports Videos
6-foot-2, 195 pounds, WR-CB, North Allegheny
How good of a prospect is Elijah Zeise?
He was the only sophomore to start on North Allegheny's WPIAL Class AAAA championship team last fall. And while he's likely to outgrow the cornerback position, he projects as a safety or linebacker.
Zeise opened eyes at prospect camps at Kent State, Maryland, Pitt and West Virginia this summer, showing his ability to be a shutdown defender in coverage. He's hearing from those schools, plus Michigan, but Pitt was the first to offer a scholarship, doing so Tuesday.
“I was a little shocked,” said Elijah, who has a 3.7 grade-point average. “It was kind of unexpected to happen as early as it did.”
Zeise also shines in basketball, where the swingman was named MVP of the Wheeling (W.Va.) Shootout, and his athleticism could help on offense at receiver for North Allegheny this season.
“Football is still relatively new to me,” Elijah said, “but I feel like I'm athletic enough and hard-working enough that wherever they put me I'll be able to adapt to it.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pitt beats Syracuse, snaps 3-game losing streak
- Penn State struggles against Big Ten’s worst defense in loss to Illinois
- Add surprise flavors to Thanksgiving turkey
- Roasted almonds are a quick, simple snack
- Freezing rain hits Western Pennsylvania, many accidents reported
- Newsmaker: Christopher W. Robinson
- Penn State notebook: Nittany Lions linebacker Bell misses 1st game of season
- Asian-flavored marinade flavors roasted turkey breast
- Chinese state media give profs a chilling warning
- Bluegrass jam sessions bring out all types of musicians, fans
- District football roundup: W&J advances in Division III playoffs; Slippery Rock ousted