High school prospect watch: Elijah Zeise
TribLIVE Sports Videos
6-foot-2, 195 pounds, WR-CB, North Allegheny
How good of a prospect is Elijah Zeise?
He was the only sophomore to start on North Allegheny's WPIAL Class AAAA championship team last fall. And while he's likely to outgrow the cornerback position, he projects as a safety or linebacker.
Zeise opened eyes at prospect camps at Kent State, Maryland, Pitt and West Virginia this summer, showing his ability to be a shutdown defender in coverage. He's hearing from those schools, plus Michigan, but Pitt was the first to offer a scholarship, doing so Tuesday.
“I was a little shocked,” said Elijah, who has a 3.7 grade-point average. “It was kind of unexpected to happen as early as it did.”
Zeise also shines in basketball, where the swingman was named MVP of the Wheeling (W.Va.) Shootout, and his athleticism could help on offense at receiver for North Allegheny this season.
“Football is still relatively new to me,” Elijah said, “but I feel like I'm athletic enough and hard-working enough that wherever they put me I'll be able to adapt to it.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pitt football notebook: Athletic department seeking fans’ input
- Pa. bear hunters off to good start
- Pirates star McCutchen marries in private ceremony
- Hockey loses pair of legendary figures in Quinn, Tikhonov
- NFL notebook: Chiefs safety Berry may have lymphoma
- PennDOT work to close lanes on Parkways
- Stocks stake claim in record territory
- Pine-Richland’s ‘Neil’ the ram has happy home
- Grand jury reaches decision in Ferguson shooting
- U.S. Steel to relocate corporate headquarters on former Civic Arena site
- With sanctions, sliding oil prices, Russia losing more than $100B a year, finance minister says