High school prospect watch: Elijah Zeise
TribLIVE Sports Videos
6-foot-2, 195 pounds, WR-CB, North Allegheny
How good of a prospect is Elijah Zeise?
He was the only sophomore to start on North Allegheny's WPIAL Class AAAA championship team last fall. And while he's likely to outgrow the cornerback position, he projects as a safety or linebacker.
Zeise opened eyes at prospect camps at Kent State, Maryland, Pitt and West Virginia this summer, showing his ability to be a shutdown defender in coverage. He's hearing from those schools, plus Michigan, but Pitt was the first to offer a scholarship, doing so Tuesday.
“I was a little shocked,” said Elijah, who has a 3.7 grade-point average. “It was kind of unexpected to happen as early as it did.”
Zeise also shines in basketball, where the swingman was named MVP of the Wheeling (W.Va.) Shootout, and his athleticism could help on offense at receiver for North Allegheny this season.
“Football is still relatively new to me,” Elijah said, “but I feel like I'm athletic enough and hard-working enough that wherever they put me I'll be able to adapt to it.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Opposing defenses find success against Steelers by eschewing blitz
- Penguins forward Downie becoming a hit with teammates
- Steelers looking for Spence to step up game at inside linebacker
- Shale oil, gas finds put Mon Valley on path to renaissance, leaders say
- Western Pennsylvania residents chill about forecasters’ spat
- Large-scale batteries are integral in shift to renewable energy
- North Huntingdon church shaken by youth pastor’s child porn rap
- All signs positive for Pitt junior forward Johnson
- Pitt’s defense has not rested in post-Donald era
- Jobs are focus in 52nd District House race in Westmoreland, Fayette
- Legal titans prepared to tussle in Ferrante cyanide homicide trial