High school prospect watch: Elijah Zeise
TribLIVE Sports Videos
6-foot-2, 195 pounds, WR-CB, North Allegheny
How good of a prospect is Elijah Zeise?
He was the only sophomore to start on North Allegheny's WPIAL Class AAAA championship team last fall. And while he's likely to outgrow the cornerback position, he projects as a safety or linebacker.
Zeise opened eyes at prospect camps at Kent State, Maryland, Pitt and West Virginia this summer, showing his ability to be a shutdown defender in coverage. He's hearing from those schools, plus Michigan, but Pitt was the first to offer a scholarship, doing so Tuesday.
“I was a little shocked,” said Elijah, who has a 3.7 grade-point average. “It was kind of unexpected to happen as early as it did.”
Zeise also shines in basketball, where the swingman was named MVP of the Wheeling (W.Va.) Shootout, and his athleticism could help on offense at receiver for North Allegheny this season.
“Football is still relatively new to me,” Elijah said, “but I feel like I'm athletic enough and hard-working enough that wherever they put me I'll be able to adapt to it.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Predators winger Neal caught ‘blindsided’ by trade from Penguins
- Red Wings rally, shock Penguins in overtime
- Rossi: Middling Steelers must make a statement
- Steelers free safety Mitchell is still settling into role on defense
- Steelers notebook: Young players provide big challenge for special teams coach
- Steelers’ Adams delivers in pinch against Texans
- Former Ligonier Township supervisor accused of costing residents thousands, viewing porn on the job
- Ex-judge in Philadelphia charged with bribery, conspiracy in sting case
- Living Water Church takes over Knights of Columbus building in Kittanning
- Allegheny County health officials call on retirement homes to stay vigilant on Legionella prevention
- The real Captain Phillips brings story of piracy to St. Vincent College