High school prospect watch: Elijah Zeise
TribLIVE Sports Videos
6-foot-2, 195 pounds, WR-CB, North Allegheny
How good of a prospect is Elijah Zeise?
He was the only sophomore to start on North Allegheny's WPIAL Class AAAA championship team last fall. And while he's likely to outgrow the cornerback position, he projects as a safety or linebacker.
Zeise opened eyes at prospect camps at Kent State, Maryland, Pitt and West Virginia this summer, showing his ability to be a shutdown defender in coverage. He's hearing from those schools, plus Michigan, but Pitt was the first to offer a scholarship, doing so Tuesday.
“I was a little shocked,” said Elijah, who has a 3.7 grade-point average. “It was kind of unexpected to happen as early as it did.”
Zeise also shines in basketball, where the swingman was named MVP of the Wheeling (W.Va.) Shootout, and his athleticism could help on offense at receiver for North Allegheny this season.
“Football is still relatively new to me,” Elijah said, “but I feel like I'm athletic enough and hard-working enough that wherever they put me I'll be able to adapt to it.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Fatal crash closes Flight 93 chapel in Somerset County
- Steelers’ backups Archer, Harris ready to run
- Comeau’s hat trick leads Penguins; Crosby reaches career points
- Pregnant woman struck by van in North Side dies; doctors save baby
- Amusement parks fight off home entertainment threat
- Starkey: Rutherford will add when timing’s right
- Police on hunt for suspects in unrelated Penn Township, Manor cases
- Steelers notebook: Roethlisberger says Saints game is ‘must win’
- Apollo-Ridge Education Foundation donates $12,000 to revamping middle school library
- Defying the odds makes this Thanksgiving particularly poignant
- Surge in small drones making airline pilots nervous