Prospect watch: Bishop Canevin's Mike Dunn
TribLIVE Sports Videos
6-foot-4, 225 pounds, LB, Bishop Canevin
Mike Dunn tied the Bishop Canevin school record for career tackles as a junior, so every stop he makes this season is simply putting that mark further out of reach.
As a junior, Dunn recorded 148 tackles in 12 games — including six sacks and 21 tackles for loss — to earn Class A all-state honors.
“And we're stingy,” Crusaders coach Bob Jacoby said. “You just can't be near the pile or fall on the pile.”
At middle linebacker, Dunn gets to show his nose for the ball carrier. His physique, however, could allow him to grow into another position. He runs the 40-yard dash in 4.75 seconds and projects as a potential outside linebacker or rush end.
Dunn is receiving interest from FCS programs such as Bucknell and Youngstown State and also is hearing from Mid-American Conference schools.
“I'm physical and I get to the ball pretty quick,” Dunn said. “I've been playing middle linebacker since first grade. It just seemed to always be my thing.”
A three-year starter, Dunn had 58 stops, four sacks and nine TFLs through the first five games for Bishop Canevin this fall. He helped contain Monessen quarterback Chavas Rawlins, a West Virginia recruit, from the perimeter by making 15 tackles.
“He's a student of defense,” Jacoby said. “He has the freedom to make all the calls on the field. He reads the offense well, can get to the off-tackle hole but has great pursuit to get the wide side, too.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Steelers should corner the market at NFL Draft
- Most talent in NFL Draft play at Steelers’ positions of need
- Man found dead in Lower Burrell
- Former Tennessee DE Hendrix announces transfer to Pitt
- Hammel, Cubs shut down Pirates, snapping 5-game winning streak
- Steelers receiver Brown attends workouts despite previous comments
- Penguins’ Pouliot learns from rookie season
- Plum officials: District won’t inhibit ‘constitutionally protected speech’
- Grand jury presentment: AG Kane lied, attempted to cover up leak
- Arnold, New Kensington drug busts net 2 arrests, heroin, cocaine, cash
- Restoration of ice-damaged McKeesport marina on schedule