Prospect watch: Bishop Canevin's Mike Dunn
TribLIVE Sports Videos
6-foot-4, 225 pounds, LB, Bishop Canevin
Mike Dunn tied the Bishop Canevin school record for career tackles as a junior, so every stop he makes this season is simply putting that mark further out of reach.
As a junior, Dunn recorded 148 tackles in 12 games — including six sacks and 21 tackles for loss — to earn Class A all-state honors.
“And we're stingy,” Crusaders coach Bob Jacoby said. “You just can't be near the pile or fall on the pile.”
At middle linebacker, Dunn gets to show his nose for the ball carrier. His physique, however, could allow him to grow into another position. He runs the 40-yard dash in 4.75 seconds and projects as a potential outside linebacker or rush end.
Dunn is receiving interest from FCS programs such as Bucknell and Youngstown State and also is hearing from Mid-American Conference schools.
“I'm physical and I get to the ball pretty quick,” Dunn said. “I've been playing middle linebacker since first grade. It just seemed to always be my thing.”
A three-year starter, Dunn had 58 stops, four sacks and nine TFLs through the first five games for Bishop Canevin this fall. He helped contain Monessen quarterback Chavas Rawlins, a West Virginia recruit, from the perimeter by making 15 tackles.
“He's a student of defense,” Jacoby said. “He has the freedom to make all the calls on the field. He reads the offense well, can get to the off-tackle hole but has great pursuit to get the wide side, too.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- No tag for Worilds; Steelers cut Moore
- Penguins GM Rutherford not counting on Dupuis’ return
- Penguins acquire defensemen Lovejoy, Cole in deadline deals
- North Huntingdon man accused of road rage altercation in Westmoreland
- Reputed major heroin trafficker in Westmoreland County pleads guilty, gets prison sentence
- Zoning update raises fears in Ligonier Township
- ‘Time for bold change,’ Wolf says in outlining $30B state budget
- ‘Let It Snow’s’ big-name cast filming all over Western Pennsylvania
- Interstate smash-and-grab jewelry ring may be operating in Pittsburgh area, Altoona
- Pirates sickened by pic of ‘Jihadi John’ wearing Bucs ball cap
- Inmate care in Allegheny County Jail generates worries