High school notebook: Seneca Valley coach likes view from above
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Seneca Valley coach Don Holl took an unorthodox approach when he abandoned the Raiders sideline, but the results have been exceptional.
In three games since the move, Seneca Valley has outscored opponents, 147-21, including a 34-7 victory over No. 6 Central Catholic. Holl will watch from above again Friday when No. 5 Seneca Valley (5-1) faces No. 8 North Hills (5-1) at Martorelli Stadium, a key game in the Quad North.
“I think (the move) was productive,” said Holl, who calls his team's offensive plays. “It was exactly what I expected it to be. I think I was better, and as a result, we were better.”
In their first three games this season, with Holl on the sideline, the Raiders scored 77 points. But after a 45-3 loss to North Allegheny in Week 3, Holl moved upstairs. It was an idea he'd considered before, having once been a college coordinator. But he was reluctant to leave the sideline, knowing there might be logistical issues.
“I had a feeling I would be more effective, but I was never quite convinced that the downside wouldn't be significant,” Holl said. “But the more we thought about it, I realized I'm saying one thing and doing another. I do believe I'd be better up there, and maybe what I needed to do was give it a try.”
Springdale's Sean Dugan could be the Dynamos' career rushing leader before the end of the month. The senior has 3,513 yards and stands 361 from the mark set by Wayne Mundekis (3,874) from 2002-05.
Dugan ranks fifth in the WPIAL this season with 999 yards on 127 carries. He averages 166 yards per game.
Bethel Park's Levi Metheny, Kiski Area's Lincoln Clayton and Avonworth's Zach Chandler certainly didn't play like freshmen last Friday.
Metheny completed 8 of 12 passes for 176 yards and two touchdowns in a 31-7 victory over Penn Hills. Clayton rushed for 187 yards and two touchdowns in a 36-14 victory over Norwin. Chandler led two scoring drives in a 19-15 overtime loss to North Catholic.
Chris Harlan is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Fleury, Penguins too much for Kings
- 5 Cal U football players arrested for assault; Saturday’s game canceled
- Veteran LB Harrison: Steelers must play to way defense is set up
- Pirates likely to seek pitcher, catcher when free agency starts
- Police: Man wanted in fatal ambush of Pennsylvania trooper finally captured
- Steelers notebook: Fully healthy, rookie WR Bryant progressing fast
- Emaciated Lab-collie mix found in garbage bag in New Stanton
- Hackers’ new Dyre malware infects W.Pa. computers, vexes FBI cyber agents
- Trooper struck by SUV in East Huntingdon has ‘long road ahead of him’
- Building collapses in Connellsville; mound of debris lands in street
- Rossi: The best Penguins defense is ... a potent offense