High school roundup: South Fayette boys soccer upsets top-seeded South Park
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Justin Goodwill scored the deciding goal in a shootout to lead South Fayette to a 1-0 win over top-seeded South Park (19-1) in the WPIAL Class AAA quarterfinals Wednesday night at Chartiers Valley. Brian Coyne, Travis Revay and Danny Pruss also scored in the shootout, and goalkeeper Andrew Pine made it stand for the Lions (14-4-1).
“We knew we'd have to come in and absorb their pressure,” SF coach Rob Eldridge said of the scoreless tie through regulation and overtime. “The defense did a good job getting behind the ball in transition.”
Canon-McMillan 1, Franklin Regional 0 — Eddie Hartman scored on a close-range finish from the left side with 2:35 remaining to send No. 13 Canon-McMillan (19-4-0) past No. 12 Franklin Regional (13-4-2) in a WPIAL Class AAA quarterfinal at North Allegheny.
Peters Township 2, Seneca Valley 1 (OT) — Justin Magnotti scored early in overtime to lead No. 1 Peters Township (13-1-2) to a WPIAL Class AAA quarterfinal victory. Matt Saluga scored to give Seneca Valley a 1-0 lead, but Troy Eskew tied it in the 59th minute for Peters Township.
Belle Vernon 1, West Allegheny 0 — Jesse Kallam scored on a rebound with 12:49 left to give Belle Vernon (14-3) a WPIAL Class AA quarterfinal victory over No. 3 West Allegheny (15-3). David Wurmlinger assisted on the goal, and Alex Robinson made 10 saves in the shutout.
Riverside 1, Springdale 0 — Riverside's Anthony Meniece scored to send the No. 10 seed Panthers (14-4-1) to the WPIAL Class A semifinals, upsetting No. 2 Springdale (14-4).
Sewickley Academy 4, Carlynton 0 — Keegan MacDougall and Jake Mulholland scored in the first half, and Max Proie and Matt Teitelbaum added a pair in the second to push top-seed Sewickley Academy (16-0-1) into the WPIAL Class A semifinals.
Greensburg C.C. 3, Bishop Canevin 0 — Adam Tucker accounted for all the scoring, as Greensburg Central Catholic (14-4-1) won a WPIAL Class A quarterfinal at Hampton. Dave Kossol made one save in the victory.
Serra Catholic 2, Winchester Thurston 1 — Tyler Gerbur beat Winchester Thurston goalkeeper Mathieu Lebiere on a header with 48 seconds remaining to give third-seeded Serra Catholic (15-2-1) a WPIAL Class A quarterfinal win at Linton Middle School in Penn Hills.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Roundup: Wealth gap largest on record, Pew study shows; McDonald’s in Japan limits orders of fries; more
- Starkey: Pederson had to go at Pitt
- Pederson’s 2nd tenure as the athletic director at Pitt comes to abrupt end
- Chryst returns home, named football coach at Wisconsin
- Philly DA says no affidavits claimed by AG Kane in bribery case existed
- Steelers, young and old, thirst for opportunity to reach the postseason
- QB Smith is chief concern for Steelers’ defense
- Demolition project at Oliver’s Pourhouse in Greensburg moves forward
- Home of LeNature’s exec up for sale
- Rice Energy spin-off priced below expected range
- Penguins continue to thrive, despite spate of ailments