Breaking down the WPIAL Class AAA football bracket
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Favorite: As the only unbeaten team, Thomas Jefferson (9-0) earned the No. 1 seed for the fifth time in seven years. The Jaguars won WPIAL titles in 2006-08 when seeded first. QB Joe Carroll leads the WPIAL with 33 TD passes.
Challengers: Parkway co-champions Central Valley (7-2), West Allegheny (8-1) and Montour (8-1) proved to be beatable, yet all three also have the talent to win a title. West Mifflin (8-1) lost, 28-14, on Friday at TJ, but the Titans would welcome a neutral-site rematch. Mars (8-1) has a terrific run game led by sophomore RB Josh Schultheis, a 1,300-yard rusher.
Dark horse: Blackhawk (3-6) might not reach Heinz Field, but QB Chandler Kincade, RB Cole Chiappialle and WR Alex Caratelli could be a tough matchup for any high seed.
Prediction: TJ over West Mifflin
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- VND High school football notebook: Local flavor enhances Penn Hills, other playoff teams
- LaBar: Updated WWE Network numbers, its future
- Emaciated Lab-collie mix found in garbage bag in New Stanton
- Pirates likely to seek pitcher, catcher when free agency starts
- How to avoid Amazon and still get deals
- Hackers’ new Dyre malware infects W.Pa. computers, vexes FBI cyber agents
- Homewood welcomes nonprofit Animal Rescue League’s new shelter, clinic
- ‘Bend and dent’ store opening in Rural Valley
- Bullskin supervisors award bids for Spruce Hollow Road bridge project
- Few knew of cyber attack on White House computer network
- Fleury, Penguins too much for Kings