Breaking down the WPIAL Class AAA football bracket
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Favorite: As the only unbeaten team, Thomas Jefferson (9-0) earned the No. 1 seed for the fifth time in seven years. The Jaguars won WPIAL titles in 2006-08 when seeded first. QB Joe Carroll leads the WPIAL with 33 TD passes.
Challengers: Parkway co-champions Central Valley (7-2), West Allegheny (8-1) and Montour (8-1) proved to be beatable, yet all three also have the talent to win a title. West Mifflin (8-1) lost, 28-14, on Friday at TJ, but the Titans would welcome a neutral-site rematch. Mars (8-1) has a terrific run game led by sophomore RB Josh Schultheis, a 1,300-yard rusher.
Dark horse: Blackhawk (3-6) might not reach Heinz Field, but QB Chandler Kincade, RB Cole Chiappialle and WR Alex Caratelli could be a tough matchup for any high seed.
Prediction: TJ over West Mifflin
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Woman shot at Kennywood Park in ‘freak accident’
- Man, child hit by car late Saturday in South Side
- McCutchen, Pirates hitters increasingly in crosshairs
- Missing man found in Garfield
- Police: Maine man shoots off firework from top of head, dies
- Don’t remove history’s lessons
- Pirates minor league report: Ramirez more mindful while at plate
- Starting 9: Pirates missing out on young bat
- Grandmother of boy dropped at Uniontown Hospital says he’s in ICU
- Starkey: Bring back the Brawl!
- Pittsburgh’s tech startup activity rates last of 40 metro areas in report