Breaking down the WPIAL Class AAA football bracket
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Favorite: As the only unbeaten team, Thomas Jefferson (9-0) earned the No. 1 seed for the fifth time in seven years. The Jaguars won WPIAL titles in 2006-08 when seeded first. QB Joe Carroll leads the WPIAL with 33 TD passes.
Challengers: Parkway co-champions Central Valley (7-2), West Allegheny (8-1) and Montour (8-1) proved to be beatable, yet all three also have the talent to win a title. West Mifflin (8-1) lost, 28-14, on Friday at TJ, but the Titans would welcome a neutral-site rematch. Mars (8-1) has a terrific run game led by sophomore RB Josh Schultheis, a 1,300-yard rusher.
Dark horse: Blackhawk (3-6) might not reach Heinz Field, but QB Chandler Kincade, RB Cole Chiappialle and WR Alex Caratelli could be a tough matchup for any high seed.
Prediction: TJ over West Mifflin
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Not to be left behind, speedy Steelers are on the fast track in NFL
- Rossi: Steelers will make small strides this season
- The IRS scandal: Do the Lois Lerner emails still exist?
- Steelers have plenty of new faces at wide receiver
- Penguins GM insists new coach Johnston was no afterthought
- Customers anxious for details about Highmark transition plan for W. Pa.
- In last preseason game, a final audition for some Steelers
- Starkey: Bucs still battlin’
- Jury deliberating sex assault charges against ice cream shop owner
- Jolie and Pitt officially tie the knot
- McKeesport Area teacher fired amid sex scandal returns to school