Breaking down the WPIAL Class AAA football bracket
By Chris Harlan
Published: Monday, October 29, 2012, 9:42 p.m.
Updated: Monday, October 29, 2012
Favorite: As the only unbeaten team, Thomas Jefferson (9-0) earned the No. 1 seed for the fifth time in seven years. The Jaguars won WPIAL titles in 2006-08 when seeded first. QB Joe Carroll leads the WPIAL with 33 TD passes.
Challengers: Parkway co-champions Central Valley (7-2), West Allegheny (8-1) and Montour (8-1) proved to be beatable, yet all three also have the talent to win a title. West Mifflin (8-1) lost, 28-14, on Friday at TJ, but the Titans would welcome a neutral-site rematch. Mars (8-1) has a terrific run game led by sophomore RB Josh Schultheis, a 1,300-yard rusher.
Dark horse: Blackhawk (3-6) might not reach Heinz Field, but QB Chandler Kincade, RB Cole Chiappialle and WR Alex Caratelli could be a tough matchup for any high seed.
Prediction: TJ over West Mifflin
- Steelers notebook: Slimmed-down Redman optimistic for 2013
- Steelers’ Polamalu trim, fit as he arrives for OTAs
- Steelers quarterback Roethlisberger likes the revamped offense
- Penguins notebook: Morrow sits; Bylsma changes lineup
- Mayoral nominee Peduto plans city hall house-cleaning if he’s elected
- Pirates notebook: Morton could be back in early June
- Neal’s solid play soon could pay off on scoresheet for Penguins
- Couple accused of abusing adopted kids moving in with parents
- Schools crucial in keeping patriotism, flag etiquette alive among nation’s youth
- DVD reviews: ‘The Last Stand,’ ‘Side Effects’ and ‘Parker’
- Senators notebook: Stone gets call in place of Conacher
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.