Breaking down the WPIAL Class AAA football bracket
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Favorite: As the only unbeaten team, Thomas Jefferson (9-0) earned the No. 1 seed for the fifth time in seven years. The Jaguars won WPIAL titles in 2006-08 when seeded first. QB Joe Carroll leads the WPIAL with 33 TD passes.
Challengers: Parkway co-champions Central Valley (7-2), West Allegheny (8-1) and Montour (8-1) proved to be beatable, yet all three also have the talent to win a title. West Mifflin (8-1) lost, 28-14, on Friday at TJ, but the Titans would welcome a neutral-site rematch. Mars (8-1) has a terrific run game led by sophomore RB Josh Schultheis, a 1,300-yard rusher.
Dark horse: Blackhawk (3-6) might not reach Heinz Field, but QB Chandler Kincade, RB Cole Chiappialle and WR Alex Caratelli could be a tough matchup for any high seed.
Prediction: TJ over West Mifflin
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Man barricaded in house near West Hempfield Elementary School
- Pirates cut 12, including outfielder Tabata and pitcher Lincoln
- Penguins’ protracted slump continues with 5-2 loss at Carolina
- Norwin teacher, daughter of superintendent, charged with selling heroin
- First trailer for Pittsburgh-shot ‘Southpaw’ hits the Internet
- Aldi to open store where Bottom Dollar closed in Garfield
- Yough senior high students evacuated for third time this week
- Freshman arrested in Burrell High School bomb threat
- Bodies of Kochu, Gray found in Ohio River in West Virginia
- Port Authority secures free North Shore light-rail service
- Bomb threat clears Apollo-Ridge High School