Breaking down the WPIAL Class AAA football bracket
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Favorite: As the only unbeaten team, Thomas Jefferson (9-0) earned the No. 1 seed for the fifth time in seven years. The Jaguars won WPIAL titles in 2006-08 when seeded first. QB Joe Carroll leads the WPIAL with 33 TD passes.
Challengers: Parkway co-champions Central Valley (7-2), West Allegheny (8-1) and Montour (8-1) proved to be beatable, yet all three also have the talent to win a title. West Mifflin (8-1) lost, 28-14, on Friday at TJ, but the Titans would welcome a neutral-site rematch. Mars (8-1) has a terrific run game led by sophomore RB Josh Schultheis, a 1,300-yard rusher.
Dark horse: Blackhawk (3-6) might not reach Heinz Field, but QB Chandler Kincade, RB Cole Chiappialle and WR Alex Caratelli could be a tough matchup for any high seed.
Prediction: TJ over West Mifflin
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers sign 7th-rounder Holliman
- Steelers nose tackle McCullers finds performance, fitness go hand in hand
- Chesney fans flood the North Shore
- Outdoor notices: May 31, 2015
- CBS’ Bob Schieffer is ready for retirement
- Mars doubles partners want more after getting PIAA bronze
- Soap Summary: Siblings Lulu and Nikolas commiserate over upsetting events
- Butler County spotlight athletes: May 31, 2015
- Lightning hits Rostraver home; child hurt
- ‘Two-party stranglehold’ on debates in group’s sights
- Pittsburgh roots shape former Md. governor’s outlook in run for president