Breaking down the WPIAL Class AAA football bracket
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Favorite: As the only unbeaten team, Thomas Jefferson (9-0) earned the No. 1 seed for the fifth time in seven years. The Jaguars won WPIAL titles in 2006-08 when seeded first. QB Joe Carroll leads the WPIAL with 33 TD passes.
Challengers: Parkway co-champions Central Valley (7-2), West Allegheny (8-1) and Montour (8-1) proved to be beatable, yet all three also have the talent to win a title. West Mifflin (8-1) lost, 28-14, on Friday at TJ, but the Titans would welcome a neutral-site rematch. Mars (8-1) has a terrific run game led by sophomore RB Josh Schultheis, a 1,300-yard rusher.
Dark horse: Blackhawk (3-6) might not reach Heinz Field, but QB Chandler Kincade, RB Cole Chiappialle and WR Alex Caratelli could be a tough matchup for any high seed.
Prediction: TJ over West Mifflin
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Crosby, Malkin dazzle fellow All-Stars
- Lure of tuition aid, gifts draw college students to ‘sugar daddy’ sites
- Starkey: Rinaldo doesn’t belong in NHL
- Woman killed in Washington Township crash
- New York father kils 3 generations of family, himself
- Long-term solution for wastewater disposal eludes shale gas industry
- Power 5 conferences’ paying cost of attendance worries schools large and small
- ‘Line is definitely blurry,’ state police say of dating websites and prostitution
- Tough times are in past for Pitt senior guard Kiesel
- 1st Jewish MIss America’s scandal ended political career
- State’s no-bid contracts with private law firms prompt scrutiny