Breaking down the WPIAL Class AA football bracket
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Favorite: The closest victory this season for Aliquippa (9-0), the defending WPIAL champion, was 32 points. Most were by 40 or more, including 68-0 and 66-0 victories against Midwestern opponents. Junior RBs Dravon Henry and Terry Swanson have 30 TDs combined.
Challengers: South Fayette (9-0) has Class AA's leading WR: Zach Challingsworth, who has 45 catches and 14 TDs. Washington (9-0) has its top RB: junior Shai McKenzie, who has 31 TDs. The two could create a star-studded semifinal. Jeannette (8-1) was one blocked punt return by McKenzie away from being undefeated.
Dark horse: Burrell (8-1) has RB Cole Bush, a 1,700-yard rusher with 30 TDs. Having a workhorse could make the Bucs a dark horse.
Prediction: Aliquippa over South Fayette
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Winter weather advisory for Western Pa. in effect until Monday afternoon
- Defensive lineman commits to PSU during campus visit
- Crosby, Malkin dazzle fellow All-Stars
- Starkey: Rinaldo doesn’t belong in NHL
- Woman killed in Washington Township crash
- Increasing pressure on QBs will be offseason focus for Steelers
- Paying cost of attendance worries Power 5 schools large and small
- ‘I almost left here’ says Highland Park woman who contracted flesh-eating bacteria
- Long-term solution for wastewater disposal eludes shale gas industry
- Classes increasingly blend in technology in Western Pa. schools
- Lure of tuition aid, gifts draw college students to ‘sugar daddy’ sites