Breaking down the WPIAL Class AA football bracket
By Chris Harlan
Published: Monday, October 29, 2012, 9:44 p.m.
Updated: Tuesday, October 30, 2012
Favorite: The closest victory this season for Aliquippa (9-0), the defending WPIAL champion, was 32 points. Most were by 40 or more, including 68-0 and 66-0 victories against Midwestern opponents. Junior RBs Dravon Henry and Terry Swanson have 30 TDs combined.
Challengers: South Fayette (9-0) has Class AA's leading WR: Zach Challingsworth, who has 45 catches and 14 TDs. Washington (9-0) has its top RB: junior Shai McKenzie, who has 31 TDs. The two could create a star-studded semifinal. Jeannette (8-1) was one blocked punt return by McKenzie away from being undefeated.
Dark horse: Burrell (8-1) has RB Cole Bush, a 1,700-yard rusher with 30 TDs. Having a workhorse could make the Bucs a dark horse.
Prediction: Aliquippa over South Fayette
- NHL insider: Penguins’ Shero seems ready to move Letang
- Pitt gets commits from QB, local RB
- Penguins notebook: Pens talking with Dupuis’ reps
- Pirates notebook: Beanballs escalate tension against Reds
- Bethel Park offensive lineman Grimm picks Pitt
- Morton, quick start propel Pirates past Reds
- Pirates announce signing of first-round pick McGuire
- Steelers rookie safety Thomas learning from Polamalu, Clark
- Plan for Greensburg loft apartments receives approval
- Police find burglary suspect’s cellphone at Brackenridge crime scene
- Pagan’s lawyer seeks info
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.