Breaking down the WPIAL Class AA football bracket
By Chris Harlan
Published: Monday, Oct. 29, 2012, 9:44 p.m.
Favorite: The closest victory this season for Aliquippa (9-0), the defending WPIAL champion, was 32 points. Most were by 40 or more, including 68-0 and 66-0 victories against Midwestern opponents. Junior RBs Dravon Henry and Terry Swanson have 30 TDs combined.
Challengers: South Fayette (9-0) has Class AA's leading WR: Zach Challingsworth, who has 45 catches and 14 TDs. Washington (9-0) has its top RB: junior Shai McKenzie, who has 31 TDs. The two could create a star-studded semifinal. Jeannette (8-1) was one blocked punt return by McKenzie away from being undefeated.
Dark horse: Burrell (8-1) has RB Cole Bush, a 1,700-yard rusher with 30 TDs. Having a workhorse could make the Bucs a dark horse.
Prediction: Aliquippa over South Fayette
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Switch in pairings helps Penguins defensemen find groove in Game 3
- Penguins insider: Malkin found confidence in Game 3
- Husband to stand trial in Derry middle school teacher’s murder
- Kovacevic: No science to solving power play
- Pirates notebook: MLB metes out suspensions
- SCI-Pittsburgh inmate taken to AGH after ‘severe beating’
- ACC announces Pitt’s opponents for next 2 seasons; Powell signs with Dukes
- Pennsylvania Gov. Corbett wants candidate Wolf to release tax records
- Preview of Wednesday’s Reds-Pirates game
- Steelers pick up defensive end Heyward’s option for 2015 season
- Pitcher Cueto shuts down Pirates as Reds cruise to victory at PNC