Breaking down the WPIAL Class AA football bracket
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Favorite: The closest victory this season for Aliquippa (9-0), the defending WPIAL champion, was 32 points. Most were by 40 or more, including 68-0 and 66-0 victories against Midwestern opponents. Junior RBs Dravon Henry and Terry Swanson have 30 TDs combined.
Challengers: South Fayette (9-0) has Class AA's leading WR: Zach Challingsworth, who has 45 catches and 14 TDs. Washington (9-0) has its top RB: junior Shai McKenzie, who has 31 TDs. The two could create a star-studded semifinal. Jeannette (8-1) was one blocked punt return by McKenzie away from being undefeated.
Dark horse: Burrell (8-1) has RB Cole Bush, a 1,700-yard rusher with 30 TDs. Having a workhorse could make the Bucs a dark horse.
Prediction: Aliquippa over South Fayette
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Man dies in jump from Route 130 overpass onto passing tractor-trailer in Hempfield
- Starkey: Penguins’ season impressive so far
- Penguins a love affair for Evancho sisters
- McKeesport property deemed ripe for development
- Pirates’ search for division title rests on starting rotation’s health
- Clairton police present interactive seminar on use of force
- Hornqvist’s net-front presence with Penguins could be valuable asset
- Kittanning shelter creating calm haven for interviewing young victims
- Pirates again approach Polanco about contract extension
- Damaged Marina at McKees Point still slated to open in May
- Figure in probe of improper influence in federal investor visa program gave Rendell $15K illegally