Breaking down the WPIAL Class AA football bracket
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Favorite: The closest victory this season for Aliquippa (9-0), the defending WPIAL champion, was 32 points. Most were by 40 or more, including 68-0 and 66-0 victories against Midwestern opponents. Junior RBs Dravon Henry and Terry Swanson have 30 TDs combined.
Challengers: South Fayette (9-0) has Class AA's leading WR: Zach Challingsworth, who has 45 catches and 14 TDs. Washington (9-0) has its top RB: junior Shai McKenzie, who has 31 TDs. The two could create a star-studded semifinal. Jeannette (8-1) was one blocked punt return by McKenzie away from being undefeated.
Dark horse: Burrell (8-1) has RB Cole Bush, a 1,700-yard rusher with 30 TDs. Having a workhorse could make the Bucs a dark horse.
Prediction: Aliquippa over South Fayette
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Pirates can’t waste McCutchen’s prime
- Port Vue upgrades office equipment
- Coca-Cola shaves incentives for executives
- Giants, Bumgarner shut out Pirates in wild-card game
- Google Chromebooks, apps transform instruction at Knoch High School
- East Huntingdon man dies following police chase
- State agency honors Manorville man for hooking up kids with fishing gear
- Schools converge for Armstrong County Marching Band Festival
- Jobs on state website include ‘private party dancing,’ ‘car dates’
- Pirates’ Martin calls crowd chant ‘petty special’
- Rayburn offices moving to regular business hours