Breaking down the WPIAL Class A football bracket
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Favorite: Clairton (9-0) seems destined to win a fifth consecutive WPIAL title, tying a record set by Braddock from 1955-59. RB-QB-WR Tyler Boyd, a 4,000-yard career rusher, leads the Bears with 29 TDs.
Challengers: Monessen (8-1) might be Class A's second-best team, but could the Greyhounds fare better than their 52-7 loss Sept. 20 to Clairton? Talented junior QB Lenny Williams gives Sto-Rox (8-1) a chance as shown during its 25-0 victory over Rochester (8-1) and talented RB Dante Marsick. Weaker-conference winners North Catholic (7-2) of the Eastern and Beth-Center (8-1) of the Tri-County South could prove doubters wrong.
Dark horse: Neshannock (8-1) hasn't reached the playoffs since 2004, but QB Ernie Burkes and the Lancers could surprise a few teams.
Prediction: Clairton over Sto-Rox
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Injuries to Penguins’ Ehrhoff, Letang force defense to pick up slack
- College basketball notebook: Tennessee close to hiring Barnes
- Five is enough for Penguins’ defensemen
- Reversing the field: Pirates continue to raid Yankees for hidden skill
- Steelers’ Tomlin, Pirates’ Hurdle share similar philosophy
- Blaze guts South Greensburg home, kills 2 dogs
- Ligonier doctor’s appeal to practice rejected
- Laurel Mountain Ski Resort discusses planned revival
- NFL coaches weigh in on Polamalu’s legacy
- High school roundup: Homers highlight Canon-McMillan’s win over Bethel Park
- Pgh. International leader strives to inject Pittsburgh flavor into airport