Breaking down the WPIAL Class A football bracket
By Chris Harlan
Published: Monday, October 29, 2012, 9:46 p.m.
Updated: Monday, October 29, 2012
Favorite: Clairton (9-0) seems destined to win a fifth consecutive WPIAL title, tying a record set by Braddock from 1955-59. RB-QB-WR Tyler Boyd, a 4,000-yard career rusher, leads the Bears with 29 TDs.
Challengers: Monessen (8-1) might be Class A's second-best team, but could the Greyhounds fare better than their 52-7 loss Sept. 20 to Clairton? Talented junior QB Lenny Williams gives Sto-Rox (8-1) a chance as shown during its 25-0 victory over Rochester (8-1) and talented RB Dante Marsick. Weaker-conference winners North Catholic (7-2) of the Eastern and Beth-Center (8-1) of the Tri-County South could prove doubters wrong.
Dark horse: Neshannock (8-1) hasn't reached the playoffs since 2004, but QB Ernie Burkes and the Lancers could surprise a few teams.
Prediction: Clairton over Sto-Rox
- Kovacevic: Matt Cooke 1, Ottawa Senators 0
- Penguins rout Senators, return to Eastern Conference final
- Letang dazzles with dynamic play in Game 5 win
- Alfredsson ponders his future
- 16-year-old girl shot and killed on Rankin street
- Pirates notebook: Bucs shut down injured Karstens
- Steelers hope new blocking scheme kick-starts running game
- Penguins notebook: Tickets for Eastern Conference final on sale today
- Pirates waste strong Burnett start, fall again to Brewers at Miller Park
- New ‘Arrested Development’ season set for Netflix debut
- Retailers cash in on the ’stache craze, as its popularity regrows
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.