Breaking down the WPIAL Class A football bracket
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Favorite: Clairton (9-0) seems destined to win a fifth consecutive WPIAL title, tying a record set by Braddock from 1955-59. RB-QB-WR Tyler Boyd, a 4,000-yard career rusher, leads the Bears with 29 TDs.
Challengers: Monessen (8-1) might be Class A's second-best team, but could the Greyhounds fare better than their 52-7 loss Sept. 20 to Clairton? Talented junior QB Lenny Williams gives Sto-Rox (8-1) a chance as shown during its 25-0 victory over Rochester (8-1) and talented RB Dante Marsick. Weaker-conference winners North Catholic (7-2) of the Eastern and Beth-Center (8-1) of the Tri-County South could prove doubters wrong.
Dark horse: Neshannock (8-1) hasn't reached the playoffs since 2004, but QB Ernie Burkes and the Lancers could surprise a few teams.
Prediction: Clairton over Sto-Rox
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Roethlisberger staging big comeback
- Steelers notebook: Mitchell to miss beginning of training camp
- After year off, Steelers’ Pouncey ‘ready to go’
- Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board suspends in-store tastings
- Rockies’ 7-run 7th-inning dooms Pirates in 8-1 loss
- Steelers won’t negotiate Roethlisberger extension until after season
- Homicide detectives investigating death of East Hills infant
- Phony physician wanted in Fayette also sought in Nebraska
- Megan’s Law offender in Greensburg arrested when girl, 13, found hiding in shower
- Wall of Valor to honor North Strabane man’s heroism
- Steelers cut linebacker Kion Wilson, sign cornerback Toler