Breaking down the WPIAL Class A football bracket
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Favorite: Clairton (9-0) seems destined to win a fifth consecutive WPIAL title, tying a record set by Braddock from 1955-59. RB-QB-WR Tyler Boyd, a 4,000-yard career rusher, leads the Bears with 29 TDs.
Challengers: Monessen (8-1) might be Class A's second-best team, but could the Greyhounds fare better than their 52-7 loss Sept. 20 to Clairton? Talented junior QB Lenny Williams gives Sto-Rox (8-1) a chance as shown during its 25-0 victory over Rochester (8-1) and talented RB Dante Marsick. Weaker-conference winners North Catholic (7-2) of the Eastern and Beth-Center (8-1) of the Tri-County South could prove doubters wrong.
Dark horse: Neshannock (8-1) hasn't reached the playoffs since 2004, but QB Ernie Burkes and the Lancers could surprise a few teams.
Prediction: Clairton over Sto-Rox
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- LaBar: WWE not backing down from controversy
- Rossi: In Super city, everything but football matters
- Underclassmen standouts help Sewickley Academy
- Judge orders nonprofit tax form release in case against IRS
- Beloved North Side gardener gets new truck, paid for by her neighbors
- Stat dropoff, road struggles have Penguins seeking consistency
- LCB, Duquesne University police recover rare bourbon in illegal sale
- BNY Mellon expands role for treasury exec
- Three injured in two-vehicle accident on Arona Road in Hempfield
- Heyl: Ice-covered anomaly floating in the Allegheny River presents mystery
- Overhaul of military benefit programs sought