Breaking down the WPIAL Class A football bracket
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Favorite: Clairton (9-0) seems destined to win a fifth consecutive WPIAL title, tying a record set by Braddock from 1955-59. RB-QB-WR Tyler Boyd, a 4,000-yard career rusher, leads the Bears with 29 TDs.
Challengers: Monessen (8-1) might be Class A's second-best team, but could the Greyhounds fare better than their 52-7 loss Sept. 20 to Clairton? Talented junior QB Lenny Williams gives Sto-Rox (8-1) a chance as shown during its 25-0 victory over Rochester (8-1) and talented RB Dante Marsick. Weaker-conference winners North Catholic (7-2) of the Eastern and Beth-Center (8-1) of the Tri-County South could prove doubters wrong.
Dark horse: Neshannock (8-1) hasn't reached the playoffs since 2004, but QB Ernie Burkes and the Lancers could surprise a few teams.
Prediction: Clairton over Sto-Rox
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Ejections, heated moments mark Pirates’ win over Reds
- New Steelers cornerback Boykin clarifies remarks about Eagles’ Kelly
- Making environmentalism divisive
- Zimbabwe alleges Murrysville doctor illegally killed lion
- Pirates notebook: Burnett says ‘surgery is not an option’
- Outdoors notices: Aug. 3, 2015
- Rossi: Looking at the next great Steeler
- French riot police push back migrants at Channel Tunnel
- Ability to clog the trenches crucial to Steelers defense
- Penguins not alone in top-heavy approach to salary cap
- Israeli teen stabbed at pride parade dies