Breaking down the WPIAL Class A football bracket
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Favorite: Clairton (9-0) seems destined to win a fifth consecutive WPIAL title, tying a record set by Braddock from 1955-59. RB-QB-WR Tyler Boyd, a 4,000-yard career rusher, leads the Bears with 29 TDs.
Challengers: Monessen (8-1) might be Class A's second-best team, but could the Greyhounds fare better than their 52-7 loss Sept. 20 to Clairton? Talented junior QB Lenny Williams gives Sto-Rox (8-1) a chance as shown during its 25-0 victory over Rochester (8-1) and talented RB Dante Marsick. Weaker-conference winners North Catholic (7-2) of the Eastern and Beth-Center (8-1) of the Tri-County South could prove doubters wrong.
Dark horse: Neshannock (8-1) hasn't reached the playoffs since 2004, but QB Ernie Burkes and the Lancers could surprise a few teams.
Prediction: Clairton over Sto-Rox
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers’ Beachum, Williams hurting but could play vs. Bengals
- Ex-Penguins defenseman Niskanen still miffed by coaches’ firings
- Pirates win bidding for Korean infielder
- Marcellus driller Vantage Energy to pay nearly $1M for Greene County well problems
- Economy police release sketch of woman whose embalmed head was found in wooded area
- Rossi: Steelers rising fast in mediocre AFC
- Penguins’ Sutter, Downie, Greiss being tested for mumps, ruled out
- Rex Energy spills flowback on Butler County wellpad, says DEP
- Pitt recruit Whitehead remains committed
- Heyward, swarming defense get best of Chiefs in Steelers’ win
- WPIAL players named to Class AAA, A all-state teams