Breaking down the WPIAL Class A football bracket
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Favorite: Clairton (9-0) seems destined to win a fifth consecutive WPIAL title, tying a record set by Braddock from 1955-59. RB-QB-WR Tyler Boyd, a 4,000-yard career rusher, leads the Bears with 29 TDs.
Challengers: Monessen (8-1) might be Class A's second-best team, but could the Greyhounds fare better than their 52-7 loss Sept. 20 to Clairton? Talented junior QB Lenny Williams gives Sto-Rox (8-1) a chance as shown during its 25-0 victory over Rochester (8-1) and talented RB Dante Marsick. Weaker-conference winners North Catholic (7-2) of the Eastern and Beth-Center (8-1) of the Tri-County South could prove doubters wrong.
Dark horse: Neshannock (8-1) hasn't reached the playoffs since 2004, but QB Ernie Burkes and the Lancers could surprise a few teams.
Prediction: Clairton over Sto-Rox
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Starkey: Parents provide Cervelli’s inspiration
- Supreme Court justices ream EPA for ignoring costs to meet air standards
- Pittsburgh Public Works supervisor disciplined for text message
- More witness intimidation charges filed against Plum teacher
- Pirates hope 1st baseman Alvarez starts to regain power stroke
- Coach helps ex-McKeesport star Marshall keep NBA dream alive
- Daily Courier roundup: Connellsville tops Farmington
- Murrysville native Bullock vying for health magazine’s ‘Next Fitness Star’
- Downie, Ehrhoff lead list of likely Penguins leaving in free agency
- 80 percent of drivers found exceeding speed limit in Mt. Lebanon, Bethel Park
- Kittanning’s Toy brothers to reunite with W&J football