Breaking down the WPIAL Class A football bracket
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Favorite: Clairton (9-0) seems destined to win a fifth consecutive WPIAL title, tying a record set by Braddock from 1955-59. RB-QB-WR Tyler Boyd, a 4,000-yard career rusher, leads the Bears with 29 TDs.
Challengers: Monessen (8-1) might be Class A's second-best team, but could the Greyhounds fare better than their 52-7 loss Sept. 20 to Clairton? Talented junior QB Lenny Williams gives Sto-Rox (8-1) a chance as shown during its 25-0 victory over Rochester (8-1) and talented RB Dante Marsick. Weaker-conference winners North Catholic (7-2) of the Eastern and Beth-Center (8-1) of the Tri-County South could prove doubters wrong.
Dark horse: Neshannock (8-1) hasn't reached the playoffs since 2004, but QB Ernie Burkes and the Lancers could surprise a few teams.
Prediction: Clairton over Sto-Rox
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Polamalu made 1st-time captain; Roethlisberger named for offense
- Democratic gubernatorial nominee in spotlight at Labor Day Parade
- Steelers formalize practice squad
- Steelers receiver Heyward-Bey looks to make most of chance
- Connellsville’s St. Rita Christian Mothers to hold Nationality Day
- Family of Children’s Hospital transplant baby urges feds to change cochlear implants policy
- Steelers know fast start could be key to upcoming season
- Pirates notebook: Sanchez returns to Bucs in offensive slump
- Pirates lose on late Cardinals rally
- ‘Extreme extrovert’ takes over at WCCC
- On border of Westmoreland, Fayette, Jacobs Creek section is sacred spot