Peters Township girls score another tennis title
By Chris Garman
Published: Saturday, Oct. 27, 2012, 9:14 p.m.
HERSHEY — The Peters Township girls tennis team captured its second consecutive PIAA Class AAA title with a 3-0 victory over Unionville on Saturday night at Hershey Racquet Club.
The Indians took the opening point with a 6-4, 6-2 doubles victory from Vida Komer and Jen Holcombe. Abby Cummings followed with a 7-5, 6-2 victory in singles; she rallied from a 4-1 deficit in the first set.
The clincher came in the other doubles match, a 6-1, 3-6, 6-2 victory by Morgan Parisi and Megan Hixon.
“It feels great,” Komer said. “It's definitely exciting because there's no guarantee ever with tennis, so there were a lot of nerves going into this. It was relief and excitement when we won.”
“I'm happy for the girls,” coach Brandt Bowman said. “We set goals for the season to defend our titles — section, WPIAL and state — so I'm happy the girls stayed focus.”
The Indians finished 22-1 for their fourth state championship. Komer, the team's lone senior, will graduate a three-time state champion.
“She made history,” Bowman said.
Chris Garman is a freelance writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- RiverQuest short of money, looks for a partner
- Chocolate prices expected to soar as ingredients grow more expensive
- Pirates trade for Mets first baseman Davis
- ‘We Are FR’ fund going strong
- Orpik: Penguins must keep their cool
- Police say Latrobe woman bought gun for boyfriend, who shot neighbor
- Alvarez struggles as Pirates fall short against Brewers
- Penguins’ Bylsma wants Cup version of Letang
- Holtgraver holds on to win Lernerville opener
- Pastor’s childhood tale, scar key to Easter message
- Squeezed by competition, Chobani to expand offerings