Peters Township girls score another tennis title
TribLIVE Sports Videos
HERSHEY — The Peters Township girls tennis team captured its second consecutive PIAA Class AAA title with a 3-0 victory over Unionville on Saturday night at Hershey Racquet Club.
The Indians took the opening point with a 6-4, 6-2 doubles victory from Vida Komer and Jen Holcombe. Abby Cummings followed with a 7-5, 6-2 victory in singles; she rallied from a 4-1 deficit in the first set.
The clincher came in the other doubles match, a 6-1, 3-6, 6-2 victory by Morgan Parisi and Megan Hixon.
“It feels great,” Komer said. “It's definitely exciting because there's no guarantee ever with tennis, so there were a lot of nerves going into this. It was relief and excitement when we won.”
“I'm happy for the girls,” coach Brandt Bowman said. “We set goals for the season to defend our titles — section, WPIAL and state — so I'm happy the girls stayed focus.”
The Indians finished 22-1 for their fourth state championship. Komer, the team's lone senior, will graduate a three-time state champion.
“She made history,” Bowman said.
Chris Garman is a freelance writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers’ backups Archer, Harris ready to run
- Comeau’s hat trick leads Penguins; Crosby reaches career points
- Pitt plays best game of the season in rout of Kansas State
- Pregnant woman struck by van in North Side dies; doctors save baby
- Steelers notebook: Roethlisberger says Saints game is ‘must win’
- Fatal crash closes Flight 93 chapel in Somerset County
- Starkey: Rutherford will add when timing’s right
- Pirates notebook: Autographs to come at a cost at PirateFest
- Vanaski: Protesters won’t be thanking Wal-Mart
- PIT wants non-passengers allowed past security to shop
- Pittsburgh restaurants deliver the art of charcuterie