Peters Township girls score another tennis title
TribLIVE Sports Videos
HERSHEY — The Peters Township girls tennis team captured its second consecutive PIAA Class AAA title with a 3-0 victory over Unionville on Saturday night at Hershey Racquet Club.
The Indians took the opening point with a 6-4, 6-2 doubles victory from Vida Komer and Jen Holcombe. Abby Cummings followed with a 7-5, 6-2 victory in singles; she rallied from a 4-1 deficit in the first set.
The clincher came in the other doubles match, a 6-1, 3-6, 6-2 victory by Morgan Parisi and Megan Hixon.
“It feels great,” Komer said. “It's definitely exciting because there's no guarantee ever with tennis, so there were a lot of nerves going into this. It was relief and excitement when we won.”
“I'm happy for the girls,” coach Brandt Bowman said. “We set goals for the season to defend our titles — section, WPIAL and state — so I'm happy the girls stayed focus.”
The Indians finished 22-1 for their fourth state championship. Komer, the team's lone senior, will graduate a three-time state champion.
“She made history,” Bowman said.
Chris Garman is a freelance writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Seven in custody after New Kensington drug raid
- Steelers use 3 late first-half TDs to stun Texans
- Rookie Bryant sparks deep passing game for Steelers in victory
- North Catholic High School lists interim principal
- Bill Clinton to campaign next week for Tom Wolf in Pittsburgh
- Rossi: Steelers’ season all about going big
- 12-year-old’s donated heart joins families, lets her memory live
- Steelers notebook: Adams replaces concussed Gilbert
- Chevron’s $20M to improve Pennsylvania workforce
- Bortuzzo could provide much-needed physical presence for Penguins
- Natrona Bottling Co. keeps soda pop operation focused on craft, taste