Peters Township girls score another tennis title
By Chris Garman
Published: Saturday, October 27, 2012, 9:14 p.m.
Updated: Saturday, October 27, 2012
HERSHEY — The Peters Township girls tennis team captured its second consecutive PIAA Class AAA title with a 3-0 victory over Unionville on Saturday night at Hershey Racquet Club.
The Indians took the opening point with a 6-4, 6-2 doubles victory from Vida Komer and Jen Holcombe. Abby Cummings followed with a 7-5, 6-2 victory in singles; she rallied from a 4-1 deficit in the first set.
The clincher came in the other doubles match, a 6-1, 3-6, 6-2 victory by Morgan Parisi and Megan Hixon.
“It feels great,” Komer said. “It's definitely exciting because there's no guarantee ever with tennis, so there were a lot of nerves going into this. It was relief and excitement when we won.”
“I'm happy for the girls,” coach Brandt Bowman said. “We set goals for the season to defend our titles — section, WPIAL and state — so I'm happy the girls stayed focus.”
The Indians finished 22-1 for their fourth state championship. Komer, the team's lone senior, will graduate a three-time state champion.
“She made history,” Bowman said.
Chris Garman is a freelance writer.
- Alvarez blast lifts Pirates past Astros
- Steelers might be looking at a youth movement in 2013
- Indiana County toddler dies of abuse injuries
- College baseball roundup: Seton Hill falls short of D-II World Series
- Kovacevic: Do Senators have anything left?
- Alle-Kiski notebook: Highlands coach Zendarski stepping down
- Pirates notebook: McCutchen scratched with soreness in right knee
- Rossi: Late-game moves pay off
- Penguins’ Dupuis earns teammates’ respect with consistent play
- Johnson’s victory at Charlotte tinged with controversy
- Penguins notebook: Spezza will return for Senators in Game 3
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.