Peters Township girls score another tennis title
TribLIVE Sports Videos
HERSHEY — The Peters Township girls tennis team captured its second consecutive PIAA Class AAA title with a 3-0 victory over Unionville on Saturday night at Hershey Racquet Club.
The Indians took the opening point with a 6-4, 6-2 doubles victory from Vida Komer and Jen Holcombe. Abby Cummings followed with a 7-5, 6-2 victory in singles; she rallied from a 4-1 deficit in the first set.
The clincher came in the other doubles match, a 6-1, 3-6, 6-2 victory by Morgan Parisi and Megan Hixon.
“It feels great,” Komer said. “It's definitely exciting because there's no guarantee ever with tennis, so there were a lot of nerves going into this. It was relief and excitement when we won.”
“I'm happy for the girls,” coach Brandt Bowman said. “We set goals for the season to defend our titles — section, WPIAL and state — so I'm happy the girls stayed focus.”
The Indians finished 22-1 for their fourth state championship. Komer, the team's lone senior, will graduate a three-time state champion.
“She made history,” Bowman said.
Chris Garman is a freelance writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Police charge New Florence man in St. Clair officer’s killing
- Penn State coach fires offensive coordinator
- Travelers advised to arrive 2 hours early for flights from Pittsburgh International Airport
- New Kensington man killed in North Buffalo crash
- Indiana Twp. liver transplant recipient, 2, takes steps toward normal life
- Police officer fatally shot in New Florence; suspect in custody
- Aliquippa wins 16th WPIAL title, ends South Fayette’s 44-game winning streak
- Four downs: Steelers might still be Adams’ best bet
- Zatkoff’s, Malkin’s heroics not enough as Oilers down Penguins in shootout
- Thomas Jefferson uses defense, running game to capture WPIAL title
- Steelers find success vs. NFC