Quaker Valley boys soccer team upends Mars for Class AA crown
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Quaker Valley won its WPIAL Class AA quarterfinal and its semifinal in overtime, so it seemed fitting that Saturday's championship against Mars also went into extra time.
And sophomore Adam Richert made sure his team's magic stayed alive, drilling a shot into the left corner of the net with 4.2 seconds left in double overtime to give the Quakers (18-3-1) a 2-1 victory at Chartiers Valley.
“Me and my teammates were getting close,” said Richert, who also scored the overtime winner in the quarterfinals against Hopewell. “Captain Dante Piccolo had a couple nice rips and got close a couple times, (and) I had one.”
No. 4 Quaker Valley dominated both overtimes offensively, but the team missed several chances before Richert's goal — most notably when Matthew Rodgers hit the crossbar in the sixth minute of overtime.
“It was frustrating,” Quaker Valley coach Gene Klein said. “I thought we were controlling things. We were getting good chances, and we just couldn't put one in.”
Matt White scored for Mars (18-3-1).
In the consolation game, Belle Vernon defeated South Fayette, 1-0, on Jesse Kallam's goal to earn a spot in the PIAA Class AA playoffs.
Doug Gulasy is a freelance writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Johnston must reach Malkin in Moscow
- Steelers are in familiar territory going into training camp in Latrobe
- Air Algerie plane with 116 disappears from radar in Africa
- Pirates notebook: Recovering Cole exceeds expectations in simulated game
- Liriano, Snider lift Pirates to a victory over Dodgers at PNC Park
- New Penguins coach to meet with Malkin
- Ex-Milwaukee archbishop told he can’t spend final days at St. Vincent Archabbey
- Hookah bar on tap for Greensburg
- 3 identified in Route 66 crash near Delmont
- EQT posts $110.9 million profit in latest quarter
- Tarentum man wants confiscated cash back so he can hire attorney