Quaker Valley boys soccer team upends Mars for Class AA crown
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Quaker Valley won its WPIAL Class AA quarterfinal and its semifinal in overtime, so it seemed fitting that Saturday's championship against Mars also went into extra time.
And sophomore Adam Richert made sure his team's magic stayed alive, drilling a shot into the left corner of the net with 4.2 seconds left in double overtime to give the Quakers (18-3-1) a 2-1 victory at Chartiers Valley.
“Me and my teammates were getting close,” said Richert, who also scored the overtime winner in the quarterfinals against Hopewell. “Captain Dante Piccolo had a couple nice rips and got close a couple times, (and) I had one.”
No. 4 Quaker Valley dominated both overtimes offensively, but the team missed several chances before Richert's goal — most notably when Matthew Rodgers hit the crossbar in the sixth minute of overtime.
“It was frustrating,” Quaker Valley coach Gene Klein said. “I thought we were controlling things. We were getting good chances, and we just couldn't put one in.”
Matt White scored for Mars (18-3-1).
In the consolation game, Belle Vernon defeated South Fayette, 1-0, onJesse Kallam's goal to earn a spot in the PIAA Class AA playoffs.
Doug Gulasy is a freelance writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Philadelphia U.S. Rep. Fattah indicted in racketeering case
- Patriots QB Brady, owner Kraft lash out at NFL
- Rossi: ‘Hockey guy’ Sutter will be missed
- Plum High School teacher held for court on charges of intimidation
- Pirates notebook: Prospect Tucker unaware of ‘trade’ frenzy
- Steelers’ Wheaton adjusting his game moving to slot receiver
- Kang’s 9th-inning home run gives Pirates wild victory over Twins
- 5 face trial in beating of black man in Pittsburgh
- Driver accused of crashing head-on into Ligonier officer’s SUV waives right to preliminary hearing
- Pitt student from China pleads guilty to role in international test fraud scheme
- School credit ratings a problem for several in Western Pennsylvania