WPIAL Class AAAA final notes: Walker wins fifth title, one shy of Walker Sr.
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Friday's WPIAL title for North Allegheny was the fifth overall for Tigers coach Art Walker – three at North Allegheny and two at Central Catholic.
That comes within one of the total crowns won by his father, also named Art Walker.
The dad won five at Mt. Lebanon and one with Shady Side Academy.
Even with Friday's loss, Woodland Hills coach George Novak has 268 victories, one short of fifth place on the all-time WPIAL list.
Fifth place is occupied by former Beaver coach Pat Tarquinio. Novak is also two wins away from equaling Chuck Wagner's 270. Wagner, who retired after the 2011 season, coached his final 19 seasons at Springdale.
Novak is expected back next season. Last April, he signed a three-year contract as head football coach and athletic director at Woodland Hills.
Nearly putting it away
In the game's strangest sequence, the Tigers looked ready to put the game away after Chas Smith's interception late in the third period.
North Allegheny drove to the Wolverines 14, and lined up for a field goal after losing 2 yards in three plays.
Two procedure penalties moved the line of scrimmage back to the 26. Scrapping the field goal attempt, Mack Leftwich was sacked for a 15-yard loss. That created the unusual statistic of a 15-play drive netting just 30 yards.<
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Mother, baby found dead in Millvale apartment
- Polamalu could be next in long line of Steelers greats given unceremonial exit
- Search for bomb turns up nothing at Kittanning school
- Rossi: Kang would benefit from less attention
- Weather continues to cause crashes, public transportation delays
- Wolf reverses Corbett, says deal between Highmark, UPMC doesn’t limit continuity of care to very ill
- Heidelberg bar shut down for not paying drink tax
- Pirates pitcher Locke fighting for 5th spot in starting rotation
- Pitt names new chairman of Department of Medicine
- Over the falls — Cucumber Falls that is — go 3 kayakers in Ohiopyle
- Penguins’ Lovejoy embracing defensive pairing with Pouliot