WPIAL Class AAA final notes: West Allegheny is still perfect
TribLIVE Sports Videos
West Allegheny became the first WPIAL school to win six championship games without a loss, tying the program for ninth place in WPIAL titles with Braddock, Washington and Farrell.
Tough on defense
In four WPIAL playoff games, the Indians have yielded just 24 points. Friday marked the eighth consecutive game where West Allegheny has given up one touchdown or less.
Seen you before
Friday was the fourth time the two Class AAA finalists have met in the playoffs. West Mifflin defeated West Allegheny in the 2004 semifinals, 23-22.
In 2000, West Allegheny won the WPIAL title with a 21-7 victory over the Titans. In 1999, the Indians recorded a 10-7 win in the quarterfinal round.
Off the field
None of the eight school bands were permitted on the field at halftime Friday. Instead, the musicians entertained from the padded team bench areas in front of their fans because of concerns regarding field conditions, particularly with Pitt scheduled to play Temple Saturday afternoon. That will give Heinz Field five games in the space of about 29 hours.
Not next year
There will be a break from the tradition of the WPIAL finals on Thanksgiving weekend next year.
The 2013 championship round is slated for the weekend of Nov. 22-23. Thanksgiving will fall on Nov. 28, the latest date possible for the holiday.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers clinch playoff berth with win over Chiefs
- Starkey: Chryst a miserable failure at Pitt
- Fatal fire under investigation in New Castle
- Obama says Sony hack not an act of war
- Groom cited at Farmington wedding reception being filmed for reality TV show
- Daily Courier roundup: Ice Miners win 20-round shootout
- WikiLeaks releases purported CIA documents on operatives’ travel
- Pitt football fights to overcome steppingstone status
- Editorial cartoons Dec. 22-28, 2014
- Climate changes, habitat loss cited as threats to 314 bird species
- Diane Stafford: Consider digital footprint