WPIAL Class AA final notes: Aliquippa brings home another title
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Aliquippa's is now 15-8 in WPIAL championship games, including a 13-12 victory over Washington in the 1952 title game. Aliquippa has won 70 WPIAL playoff games.
Most everyone knows that both schools in the Class AA finals are among the winningest in WPIAL history. Aliquippa has won 646 times, fourth best in the WPIAL annals; Washington checks in at 634 victories, sixth all time in the WPIAL.
Putting the brakes on
The Aliquippa defense held WPIAL rushing yardage leader Shai McKenzie to just 33 yards. McKenzie finished the year with 2,689 yards, just short of Rushel Shell's single-season mark of 2,740. McKenzie, a junior, tallied 42 touchdowns this season.
If there's one fact that illustrates Aliquippa's defensive domination — Washington didn't run a play from scrimmage in Quips territory. The closest the Little Prexies got to Aliquippa territory, other than the fumble recovery return, was their 46-yard line on their first possession of the game. Washington never had the ball for more than six offensive plays in a series, doing it twice.
Holding them down
Washington's defense held Aliquippa under its average of 52 points per game. Aliquippa has scored 658 points this season, fourth best in WPIAL history with the possibility of three games remaining.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Electricity rates expected to increase this winter
- Pirates’ 5-game winning streak ends with 1-0 loss to Brewers
- Gas industry remedies ‘brain drain’ in Western Pennsylvania
- Former drug dealer, addict give away groceries as part of church’s outreach
- Penn State rolls past Massachusetts
- WVU falls short against OU
- Vandergrift Arts & Crafts Festival brings community together, shows off the town
- Most Wanted owner brings his love of art cars to the Burgh
- Paying tuition a challenge as costs skyrocket and aid varies
- Scout’s kiosk to tell brave woman’s tale
- Starkey: Can Steelers’ Mitchell find Carolina cure?