WPIAL Class A final notes: Clairton reaches double digits in titles
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Clairton has 10 WPIAL football titles, becoming the third school to hit double digits in gold trophies. Aliquippa has 15 championships, and New Castle checks in with 11. In three of the 10 Bears' title runs, Clairton was declared the WPIAL champion without engaging in a playoff. The school has lost eight WPIAL title games to go with the seven on-field victories.
On the move
After an uncharacteristic minus-9 rushing yards in the first half, Clairton's Tyler Boyd got into high gear in the second half. Boyd rushed for 145 yards in the third quarter alone, including a 77-yard touchdown run. With 144 net rushing yards in the win, Boyd now has 5,302 career yards on the ground, vaulting the senior into the ninth spot all-time in WPIAL rushing.
Sto-Rox junior quarterback Lenny Williams is among the WPIAL's top 10 in career passing. His 106 passing yards Friday puts him at No. 10 with 5,632 career yards, passing North Hills' Eric Kasperowicz on the all-time list.
Sto-Rox coach Dan Bradley: “It was a great first half. The third quarter we got beat up a little bit and wore down. I think the kids will be proud of themselves and how far they came.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Police officer fatally shot in New Florence; suspect in custody
- Woman dies after bleeding on sidewalk outside Carrick pizzeria
- Small Business Saturday a boon to Alle-Kiski Valley merchants
- Steelers notebook: Brown downplays possible matchup against Seahawks’ Sherman
- Four downs: Steelers might still be Adams’ best bet
- Florida counties fight state on fracking plan
- Zatkoff’s, Malkin’s heroics not enough as Oilers down Penguins in shootout
- Aliquippa wins 16th WPIAL title, ends South Fayette’s 44-game winning streak
- Funding highway bill atop Rep. Shuster’s agenda
- New Christmas decorations make Leechburg shine a little brighter
- Unabashed church pastors put politics front and center