WPIAL Class A final notes: Clairton reaches double digits in titles
By George Guido
Published: Friday, November 23, 2012, 3:48 p.m.
Updated: Saturday, December 29, 2012
Clairton has 10 WPIAL football titles, becoming the third school to hit double digits in gold trophies. Aliquippa has 15 championships, and New Castle checks in with 11. In three of the 10 Bears' title runs, Clairton was declared the WPIAL champion without engaging in a playoff. The school has lost eight WPIAL title games to go with the seven on-field victories.
On the move
After an uncharacteristic minus-9 rushing yards in the first half, Clairton's Tyler Boyd got into high gear in the second half. Boyd rushed for 145 yards in the third quarter alone, including a 77-yard touchdown run. With 144 net rushing yards in the win, Boyd now has 5,302 career yards on the ground, vaulting the senior into the ninth spot all-time in WPIAL rushing.
Sto-Rox junior quarterback Lenny Williams is among the WPIAL's top 10 in career passing. His 106 passing yards Friday puts him at No. 10 with 5,632 career yards, passing North Hills' Eric Kasperowicz on the all-time list.
Sto-Rox coach Dan Bradley: “It was a great first half. The third quarter we got beat up a little bit and wore down. I think the kids will be proud of themselves and how far they came.”
- NHL commissioner Bettman talks Crosby, Olympics, outdoor games
- Steelers OTA photo gallery
- Steelers hope new blocking scheme kick-starts running game
- Dejan Kovacevic chat transcript: May 24, 2013
- Senators' Alfredsson clarifies comments made after Game 4
- Steelers notebook: Gilbert hopes to stay on left side of O-line
- Penguins insider: Golden opportunity arrives with Game 5
- Allegheny County Councilman Drozd leaves GOP, alleges dirty politics
- Starkey: Pens’ offense blazing historic path
- Both lanes of I-79 northbound near Cranberry now open
- Whitehall couple sues Pittsburgh zoo over son’s mauling by painted dogs
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.