USO falls to Selinsgrove in PIAA first round
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The USO football team fell to District 4 champion Selinsgrove, 41-14, in the first round of the PIAA Class AAA playoffs Saturday afternoon at Altoona's Mansion Park Stadium.
The Wildcats (7-4) committed eight turnovers — seven interceptions and one fumble — and couldn't stop the Seals' duo of Mike Walter and Conner Liesenfeld, who combined for six touchdowns.
Selinsgrove (10-3) owned the line of scrimmage, rushing for 320 yards on 64 carries, and the Wildcats struggled to keep possession on offense. In addition to quarterback Akil Young's seven interceptions, USO put the ball on the ground five times (lost one) and committed 11 penalties for 89 yards.
Young completed 20 of 43 pass attempts for 184 yards, including a 28-yard touchdown to Clay Morehead. Marcus Johnson provided USO's other score on a 61-yard punt return early in the second quarter.
Selinsgrove advanced to the PIAA quarterfinals, where it will take on Allentown Central Catholic on Friday night.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Westmoreland exhibit pairs portraits with still lifes
- Mears savors success, credits legendary Lange for guidance, inspiration
- Pitt beats Syracuse, snaps 3-game losing streak
- Conneaut Lake Park to take case to court for tax-exempt status
- Geologist: Site of idyllic 1833 painting of Lancaster found
- Penn State struggles against Big Ten’s worst defense in loss to Illinois
- With enrollment dropping, Mercyhurst cuts jobs
- Executive stayed busy with business, civic work
- Man’s death by runaway wheel on Route 28 ruled accident
- Freezing rain hits Western Pennsylvania, many accidents reported
- Touring production of ‘Newsies’ gets to the heart of a real event