Steel Valley looking for new football coach
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Steel Valley's Man of Steele has stepped down.
Rod Steele, who has coached the Ironmen football program since 2010, submitted a letter of resignation to the Steel Valley school board that was accepted at its meeting last week. School athletic director Shawn McCallister confirmed the resignation Friday afternoon.
Steele guided Steel Valley to a 16-15 record in three seasons and three berths in the WPIAL Class AA playoffs. The Ironmen, however, could not win a postseason game, as they lost to Beaver Falls in 2010 and to eventual WPIAL champion Aliquippa the past two seasons.
Steel Valley (4-6 in 2012) has not won a postseason game since 2007.
Steel Valley has had its share of injury problems the past two seasons, which have crippled its chances in what has become one of the most top-heavy conferences in the WPIAL. Either South Fayette or Seton-La Salle has won at least a share of the Century Conference title every year since 2007, when Steel Valley went undefeated in the regular season before losing to Beaver Falls in the WPIAL Class AA quarterfinals.
This season the Ironmen lost four of their final five games, including their last three against South Allegheny, McGuffey and Aliquippa.
It is unclear who the district is considering to replace Steele.
Keith Barnes is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at email@example.com or 412-664-9161 Ext. 1977.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers’ Taylor recovering from forearm surgery
- Coder resigns as football coach at Canon-McMillan
- Pennsylvania slapped with another debt downgrade
- Steelers defense must replace 3 injured starters after victory
- Police: 3 people dead in shooting at UPS facility
- Brentwood chief to remain on suspension as probe continues
- Steelers to bring LB Harrison out of retirement
- To catch a thief, Youngwood church installs surveillance
- Council poised to sell Melody Tent site for Penguins-led development
- Rare Warhol paintings headed to Christie’s auction
- Pirates notebook: Volquez open to re-signing with team