High school roundup: Hopewell wins showdown between top baseball teams
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Two of the WPIAL's top-ranked teams played Monday in a nonsection contest, and Class AAA No. 2 Hopewell earned a 7-5 win over Riverside, the top-ranked team in Class AA.
Stefan Mrkonja had four strikeouts in five innings to earn the win. Tim Hughes and Logan Johnston had homered and Ryan Cox had four hits for Hopewell (4-0). Tyler Falk homered and tripled to lead Riverside (3-1).
Avella 6, Sewickley Academy 5 — Avella loaded the bases in the bottom of the seventh, and an error pushed home the winning run in a nonsection victory. Santino Paris doubled and earned the victory for Avella (1-0). Sam Duerr tripled and took the loss for the Panthers (0-1).
California 6, East Allegheny 3 — Brian Ficher struck out eight batters in six innings, as California (3-2) earned a nonsection win.
New Brighton 14, Central Valley 13 — In nonsection play, New Brighton (1-1) used four walks and an error to score two runs in the top of the seventh to seal a victory. Bob Reina had a home run, and Jake Debo earned the win. Alex Micco had three hits and 3 RBI for Central Valley (1-1).
North Hills 6, Shaler 5 — North Hills (3-1) scored three runs in the top of the seventh to pull out a nonsection win. Mark Brimeier earned the win in relief of Josh Kaminski, who allowed three hits in four innings.
West Mifflin 13, Penn-Trafford 9 — Zach Fodor had two hits and three RBI in leading West Mifflin (4-1) to a nonsection win.
Joe Stavor earned the win in relief of A.J. Olasz, who had seven strikeouts.
Tyler Smith took the loss for Penn-Trafford (0-1).
Uniontown 10, Frazier 9 (8 inn.) — Joey Carpeal delivered a game-winning RBI single in the bottom of the eighth to lift Uniontown (2-2) to a nonsection win.
Brownsville 12, Laurel Highlands 3 — Miranda Arison struck out six batters and allowed six hits in a complete game to lead Brownsville (3-2, 2-0) to a Section 4-AAA win.
Katie Whyel had two doubles and a triple for Brownsville. Tiffany Markovitch also had three hits.
Shaler 9, Fox Chapel 3 — Brianna Dobson struck out 12 batters and allowed one earned run in a complete-game victory for Shaler (1-0, 1-0) in Section 3-AAAA. A.J. Nichols and Haley Dengler each had three hits for Shaler.
Kat Nestel had a home run for Fox Chapel (0-1).
West Mifflin 9, Penn-Trafford 6 — Lauren Ackerman had a home run, double and 5 RBI to lead West Mifflin (5-0) to a nonsection victory. Cassie Szmyd hit a grand slam and Dani Wally had three hits for the Warriors (1-1).
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Funeral for Joey Fabus, honorary Bethel Park police officer, draws crowd
- New York City hunkers down as Nor’easter threatens blizzard conditions
- Rossi: Crosby’s debt to NHL paid in full
- WVa natural gas line explodes near Ohio border
- Leechburg Road to reopen after two-vehicle accident
- Murrysville Atria’s damaged by fire
- Increasing pressure on QBs will be offseason focus for Steelers
- ‘Free’ wine kiosk initiative costs state Liquor Control Board $300K
- Pitt coach Narduzzi adds N.J. linebacker recruit
- Energy companies vie for experienced workers with skills in high demand
- Central Catholic’s Petrishen says he enjoys hectic recruiting process