High school roundup: Elizabeth Forward defeats Carrick, runs record to 5-0
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Elizabeth Forward made its way back from ESPN's Wide World of Sports Complex in Orlando last week a perfect 4-0 and picked up right where it left off in the Section 4-AAA opener Wednesday at Wylie Field.
Mark Adams struck out 11 as Elizabeth Forward beat Carrick, 4-2.
Ryan Pharon doubled and scored a run, while Ryan Wardropper had two hits and two runs scored.
Carrick managed only two hits.
Greensburg Central Catholic 21, South Allegheny 2 — GCC scored eight runs in both the first and fifth innings and collected 17 hits to come away with an easy win over South Allegheny in Section 4-AA. Colin Liberatore picked up the win for GCC; he struck out four in five innings.
Yough 5, Uniontown 3 — Yough (1-0, 1-0) scored its runs in the first two innings to come away with a Section 2-AAA win. C.J. Vargo picked up the win for Yough and also doubled.
South Park 11, Thomas Jefferson 4 — South Park (7-0, 1-0) raced to an 8-1 lead and cruised to a Section 4-AAA win. Randy Dobnak picked up the win for the Eagles, while Eric Fairman was saddled with the loss. TJ (2-3, 0-1) got a double from Colton Booher.
West Allegheny 4, West Mifflin 1 — West Allegheny scored two runs in the first and added two more in the sixth to down visiting West Mifflin in a nonsection game. West Mifflin managed three hits — all singles — from Dan Howard, Zach Lapko and Ryan Kandsberger. Zak Salmon, Todd Sekowski and Lapko combined for a three-hitter.
Thomas Jefferson 8, Southmoreland 1 — Janelle Allison tossed a two-hitter to lead Thomas Jefferson to a season-opening win. TJ scored six runs in the second. Kyla Prickett doubled for the Jaguars (1-0, 1-0).
McKeesport 11, Oakland Catholic 0 (5 inn.) — McKeesport (4-0, 1-0) stayed perfect with a whitewash of Oakland Catholic (0-1, 0-1) in Section 2-AAAA. Jess Beitler tossed a one-hitter and struck 10. Freshman Vanessa Falce led the way with three hits, two runs and four RBI.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- McCutchen, Pirates hitters increasingly in crosshairs
- Locke pitches 8 scoreless innings as Pirates edge Indians
- Pirates minor league report: Ramirez more mindful while at plate
- Woman shot outside Kennywood Park in West Mifflin
- Starting 9: Pirates missing out on young bat
- Pirates trust eye test when voting for all-stars
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Indians, July 5, 2015
- Starkey: Bring back the Brawl!
- Pittsburgh’s tech startup activity rates last of 40 metro areas in report
- Grandmother of boy dropped at Uniontown Hospital says he’s in ICU