High school roundup: Young shines in win over Springdale
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Leechburg senior Kenzie Young showed no signs of rust in her softball season debut Wednesday at home against Springdale.
Young struck out 13 in five innings and held the Dynamos (0-1, 0-1) hitless during a 13-0 win in Section 3-A. She had just two walks, and she doubled and drove in three runs for Leechburg (1-0, 1-0), which scored five runs both in the second and third innings.
Marissa George also doubled for Leechburg, which had five hits.
Burrell 8, Freeport 7 — Melissa Mazzei scored on a fielding error to cap a seventh-inning comeback in Section 3-AA for Burrell (1-0 ,1-0), which trailed, 7-6, in the bottom of the seventh.
Morgan Matthews homered and doubled for the Bucs.
Karlie Hill homered for Freeport (1-1, 1-1).
Riverview 10, Apollo-Ridge 0 (5 inn.) — Apollo-Ridge (3-4) finished with three hits in the nonsection home loss. Anthony Malky, Jake Paradise and Joe Gent each doubled for Riverview (2-0).
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Cal Area lowers boom on Jeff-Morgan
- Daily News roundup: West Mifflin stays unbeaten
- Pitchers lead Chartiers Valley baseball to success
- High school roundup: Central Catholic tops Shaler
- Greensburg high school roundup: Derry defeats Mt. Pleasant on walk-off in 8th
- High school roundup: Extra-inning homer propels Hopewell baseball past Blackhawk
- Riverview baseball team hits stride after slow start
- High school roundup: Bethel Park tops Peters Township
- Today’s California Area-Carmichaels game moved
- Daily News roundup: Bayus’ no-hitter sparks Steel Valley
- Gorman: Donovan’s Ks rule day