High school roundup: Young shines in win over Springdale
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Leechburg senior Kenzie Young showed no signs of rust in her softball season debut Wednesday at home against Springdale.
Young struck out 13 in five innings and held the Dynamos (0-1, 0-1) hitless during a 13-0 win in Section 3-A. She had just two walks, and she doubled and drove in three runs for Leechburg (1-0, 1-0), which scored five runs both in the second and third innings.
Marissa George also doubled for Leechburg, which had five hits.
Burrell 8, Freeport 7 — Melissa Mazzei scored on a fielding error to cap a seventh-inning comeback in Section 3-AA for Burrell (1-0 ,1-0), which trailed, 7-6, in the bottom of the seventh.
Morgan Matthews homered and doubled for the Bucs.
Karlie Hill homered for Freeport (1-1, 1-1).
Riverview 10, Apollo-Ridge 0 (5 inn.) — Apollo-Ridge (3-4) finished with three hits in the nonsection home loss. Anthony Malky, Jake Paradise and Joe Gent each doubled for Riverview (2-0).
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Brawl for ADs between Pitt and WVU
- With Pittsburgh charges, feds target Uganda-based counterfeiting ring
- Penn Hills art classes provide unique, fun opportunities for seniors
- Steelers must be creative in providing snaps for linebackers
- Crime report: Burglaries down, violent crime up in Penn Hills
- Pitt offensive coordinator Rudolph still focused on Panthers
- Veteran tight end Miller’s blocking skill crucial to success to Steelers running game
- 11 Westmoreland inmates accused of setting fire put in solitary confinement
- Time is of essence for Pitt in finding football coach, athletic director
- Youngwood fire department, recalling community’s help in dark hour, reaches out to homeless family
- Hempfield leaders kill zoning request for townhomes