High school roundup: Young shines in win over Springdale
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Leechburg senior Kenzie Young showed no signs of rust in her softball season debut Wednesday at home against Springdale.
Young struck out 13 in five innings and held the Dynamos (0-1, 0-1) hitless during a 13-0 win in Section 3-A. She had just two walks, and she doubled and drove in three runs for Leechburg (1-0, 1-0), which scored five runs both in the second and third innings.
Marissa George also doubled for Leechburg, which had five hits.
Burrell 8, Freeport 7 — Melissa Mazzei scored on a fielding error to cap a seventh-inning comeback in Section 3-AA for Burrell (1-0 ,1-0), which trailed, 7-6, in the bottom of the seventh.
Morgan Matthews homered and doubled for the Bucs.
Karlie Hill homered for Freeport (1-1, 1-1).
Riverview 10, Apollo-Ridge 0 (5 inn.) — Apollo-Ridge (3-4) finished with three hits in the nonsection home loss. Anthony Malky, Jake Paradise and Joe Gent each doubled for Riverview (2-0).
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins notebook: Newcomers get 1st taste of rivalry with Flyers
- Allegheny County committee to hear about Ebola readiness
- Steelers’ defense rebounds after shaky 1st quarter, forces Texans into mistakes
- Steelers dial up 2-point play for Brown’s TD toss
- Penn State notebook: Dieffenbach might return to help Lions’ offensive line
- 7 in custody after New Kensington drug raid
- 12 selected for jury in Ferrante cyanide-poisoning trial
- Injured Pitt center Rowell plays well-rounded role on campus
- Police seize phones of some Norwin High School students
- Expert: Stress level rises for Americans who forfeit vacation
- Stocks rally; S&P 500 has best day of 2014