High school roundup: Young shines in win over Springdale
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Leechburg senior Kenzie Young showed no signs of rust in her softball season debut Wednesday at home against Springdale.
Young struck out 13 in five innings and held the Dynamos (0-1, 0-1) hitless during a 13-0 win in Section 3-A. She had just two walks, and she doubled and drove in three runs for Leechburg (1-0, 1-0), which scored five runs both in the second and third innings.
Marissa George also doubled for Leechburg, which had five hits.
Burrell 8, Freeport 7 — Melissa Mazzei scored on a fielding error to cap a seventh-inning comeback in Section 3-AA for Burrell (1-0 ,1-0), which trailed, 7-6, in the bottom of the seventh.
Morgan Matthews homered and doubled for the Bucs.
Karlie Hill homered for Freeport (1-1, 1-1).
Riverview 10, Apollo-Ridge 0 (5 inn.) — Apollo-Ridge (3-4) finished with three hits in the nonsection home loss. Anthony Malky, Jake Paradise and Joe Gent each doubled for Riverview (2-0).
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Man charged with playing doctor for free Nemacolin stay
- Steelers cornerback Taylor ready to swap earpiece for helmet
- Davis becomes 1st African-American to be named vice chair of Allegheny County Democratic Committee
- Ehrhoff finding his way with Penguins
- Murrysville athlete runs obstacle course for charity — 7 times
- Penguins notebook: Bennett status remains fluid
- Nor’easter causing flight delays at Pittsburgh International
- DUI checkpoints take on dangerous drivers
- Steelers’ lookahead: New Orleans Saints
- Cancer didn’t stop mother from living for her son
- Lower gasoline prices fail to spur consumer spending