High school roundup: Young shines in win over Springdale
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Leechburg senior Kenzie Young showed no signs of rust in her softball season debut Wednesday at home against Springdale.
Young struck out 13 in five innings and held the Dynamos (0-1, 0-1) hitless during a 13-0 win in Section 3-A. She had just two walks, and she doubled and drove in three runs for Leechburg (1-0, 1-0), which scored five runs both in the second and third innings.
Marissa George also doubled for Leechburg, which had five hits.
Burrell 8, Freeport 7 — Melissa Mazzei scored on a fielding error to cap a seventh-inning comeback in Section 3-AA for Burrell (1-0 ,1-0), which trailed, 7-6, in the bottom of the seventh.
Morgan Matthews homered and doubled for the Bucs.
Karlie Hill homered for Freeport (1-1, 1-1).
Riverview 10, Apollo-Ridge 0 (5 inn.) — Apollo-Ridge (3-4) finished with three hits in the nonsection home loss. Anthony Malky, Jake Paradise and Joe Gent each doubled for Riverview (2-0).
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Police officer fatally shot in New Florence; suspect in custody
- Four downs: Steelers might still be Adams’ best bet
- Zatkoff’s, Malkin’s heroics not enough as Oilers down Penguins in shootout
- Steelers find success vs. NFC
- Steelers notebook: Brown downplays possible matchup against Seahawks’ Sherman
- Offense continues to click as Panthers hold off Kent State, 85-76
- Central Catholic wins 5th WPIAL football title
- As historic breakup nears, Alcoa works to redefine its ‘advantage’
- Thomas Jefferson uses defense, running game to capture WPIAL title
- Woman dies after bleeding on sidewalk outside Carrick pizzeria
- Aliquippa wins 16th WPIAL title, ends South Fayette’s 44-game winning streak