Ligonier Valley High School baseball players win 4th straight
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Ligonier Valley High School baseball team won its last three games, bringing the season record to a perfect 4-0. The Rams scored away victories against United, 12-0, and Homer Center, 8-1, as well as a 13-2 home win against Penns Manor.
In the game against United, Ligonier Valley won a 12-0 shutout, finishing the game in just five innings. The Rams scored two runs in the first, six in the third and two each in the fifth and six innings. Ryan Torrance scored three runs, Zack Yeskey and Luke Ferlin both ran in twice and Ty Ferlin, Matt Ryan, Rick Ross, Billy Elliot and Jake Nemeth also contributed a run. Pitcher Billy Elliot pitched four innings in which he struck out seven batters, gave up two walks and only one hit.
Against the visiting Penns Manor, Ligonier Valley also ended the game in five innings. Yeskey pitched four innings, striking out eight batters, and was relieved by Nick Payne, who struck out two. The Rams scored twice in the first, with runs from Ty Ferlin and Yeskey, off of a two-RBI single from Matt Ryan.
This was followed in the second inning by five more runs, first scored by Nemeth, who was hit in by Ty Ferlin's double. Yeskey then batted in Ferlin. A double from Torrance brought in Luke Ferlin and Yeskey to score, and another hit from Ryan allowed Torrance to score. A hit from Luke Ferlin gave Ligonier the only RBI of the third.
Rams gave up a run in the fourth inning, but answered with five in the next at bat. With the bases loaded, Payne scored when the Penns Manor pitcher hit Ty Ferlin, followed by Luke Ferlin, who was also hit by a pitch, bringing in Jordan Jones. A single from Yeskey drove in Nemeth. Torrance hit a single to bat in Luke Ferlin, and Matt Ryan did the same to allow Yeskey to score the final run for Ligonier. Penns Manor was unable to overcome the score deficit, scoring only one run in the fifth, which forced an early end to the game.
The Rams played their longest game of the season, going eight innings against Homer Center. Ligonier led 1-0 from the first inning until the sixth, when Homer Center tied the score. In the extra inning, the Rams' seven-run rally brought home the victory. Ty Ferlin scored two runs, and Ryan, Ross, Elliot, Jones, Luke Ferlin and Nemeth each contributed a run.
The Rams will play host noon Saturday to Greensburg Salem then again 4 p.m. Monday to Blairsville. They will travel to Purchase Line Wednesday.
Peter Turcik is a freelance writer for Trib Total Media.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Knoch senior ejected from WPIAL title game for wild slide
- Knoch wins 1st WPIAL title by beating defending champ West Allegheny
- Greensburg Central Catholic downs defending champs California to win title
- McCombs tosses 1-hitter to lead Serra to PIAA tournament
- Central Catholic knocks off Norwin to win 1st WPIAL baseball title
- Trib Cup: Greensburg Central Catholic celebrates WPIAL title
- Neshannock shuts out Quaker Valley to capture WPIAL championship
- Knoch’s Bradley uses lessons learned to lead baseball team
- Steel Valley uses late rally to beat Keystone Oaks, advance to PIAA playoffs
- Mustangs point to several positives from 2015 season
- High school roundup: Montour edges CV in 9th to earn PIAA berth