West Mifflin knocks off Elizabeth Forward, 12-6
TribLIVE Sports Videos
West Mifflin handed Elizabeth Forward its first loss of the season in a 12-6 Section 4 AAA contest Monday.
The Warriors (7-1, 1-1) scored two runs in the first inning, but watched as the Titans scored five n the bottom of the frame for a 5-2 lead.
West Mifflin (6-2, 2-0) got three hits from Jim Carassanesi, including a double. Carassanesi also stole three bases and scored two runs.
Teammate A.J. Olasz, the winning pitcher, helped his cause with two hits and three RBI.
Olasz is one of the WPIAL's more hotly recruited players.
For five innings, scouts from Penn State, Michigan, Delaware, Ohio, Virginia Commonwealth, Kent State and Canisius pointed their radar guns at Olasz.
EF, which was out-hit 10-9, got a triple from Matt Diehl and doubles from Ryan Thornton, Cary Lamkin and Luke Padezan. Thornton and Steve Welsh each had two hits.
The Warriors trailed 11-2 before scoring two runs each in the sixth and seventh innings.
Bishop Canevin 14, Monessen 1
The Greyhounds (1-5, 0-1) were in a scoreless tie with the Crusaders (1-1, 1-0) before Canevin scored seven runs.
Josh Kucmeroski hit an RBI double for one of Monessen's two hits in the game.
Fort Cherry 11, Charleroi 1
The Cougars (1-5, 0-3) gave up five runs in the third inning and never recovered against the Rangers (3-2, 3-0) in the Section 2 AA contest.
Matt Hislin tossed a two-hitter for Fort Cherry while Kolton Kobrys, John Findling and Alex Babirad all smacked doubles.
Serra 8, Frazier 4
The Commodores (2-4, 0-1) dropped their Section 2 A opener despite a big day from Jaime Fell.
Fell had two doubles and a home run for Frazier, which fell behind 4-2 in the first inning and never caught up.
Winning pitcher Wayne Hydak helped himself with a three-run double in the four-run first inning for Serra (5-1, 1-0).
Washington 14, Bentworth 4
The Bearcats (2-2, 1-2) had a rough day at Washington (4-1, 3-0) in Section 2 AA.
The Prexies scored three runs in the second, three more in the third and tacked on seven in the fifth inning as Jordan Mooney had a double, home run and five RBI.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Derry baseball team turns tables on Southmoreland
- Greensburg high school roundup: No. 4 Hempfield baseball routs Norwin
- High school roundup: Mt. Lebanon rolls to victory
- High school roundup: Bethel Park upsets No. 1 Canon-McMillan
- Trib Cup: Cardinal Wuerl North Catholic loading up on games to prep for postseason
- Daily News roundup: Rohan leads Steel Valley to Section 4 victory
- Daily News roundup: Uniontown upsets No. 4 West Mifflin
- Big 2nd inning proves just enough for Sabers
- Greensburg high school roundup: No. 1 GCC tops rival Jeannette
- Kittanning baseball eyes 1st section title since 1993
- California: What will Trojans do for an encore?