High school roundup: Chartiers-Houston's Briggs tosses 2nd straight no-hitter in victory
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Kayla Briggs threw a no-hitter for the second straight day, as No. 2 Chartiers-Houston rolled to a 13-0 win over Beth-Center in Section 2-AA play Tuesday.
After striking out 11 in a 10-0 win over Washington on Monday, the senior struck out 16 on Tuesday and also went 3 for 5 at the plate with a double and triple for the Bucs (8-0, 5-0).
North Allegheny 14, Fox Chapel 0 (5 inn.) — Madi Beining allowed two hits and struck out eight to help North Allegheny (4-1, 4-1) to a Section 3-AAAA win. Bonnie Pierson and Liz Scherer each homered and had three hits for the Tigers.
Bethel Park 6, Brashear 3 — In Section 4-AAAA, Molly Welsh and Julia Sherwin each had three hits to lead Bethel Park (2-3, 2-3) to victory.
Ambridge 3, Central Valley 2 — Jaymee Humbert went 3 for 3 with two home runs and three RBI to help No. 2 Ambridge (5-0, 4-0) to a Section 1-AAA win.
Trinity 4, South Fayette 2 — Olivia Gray hit a two-run single in the fourth inning, as Trinity (4-0, 4-0) won in Section 2-AAA.
Elizabeth Forward 3, Thomas Jefferson 1 — Portia McBride had eight strikeouts and allowed one run, and Jen Keefer went 2 for 3 with two RBI to lead No. 3 Elizabeth Forward (7-1, 4-1) to a Section 3-AAA win.
South Park 8, Belle Vernon 3 — Dana Achille hit a two-run home run and struck out six batters in a complete-game victory for South Park (4-2, 4-2) in Section 3-AAA.
Keystone Oaks 12, Avonworth 1 — Kiersten Badzgon had a triple, home run and three RBI, as Keystone Oaks (4-0, 4-0) picked up a Section 1-AA win.
Deer Lakes 5, Freeport 4 (9 inn.) — Winning pitcher Tiffany Edwards drove in Becca Babincak in the top of the ninth inning to lift No. 1 Deer Lakes (6-0, 5-0) to a Section 3-AA victory. Edwards, who struck out nine, also hit a two-run home run.
Riverside 1, Beaver 0 — Kirstin Wilson struck out 10 and allowed just one hit in a complete-game victory for No. 3 Riverside (3-0, 3-0) in a Section 5-AA victory.
Sto-Rox 16, Sewickley Academy 2 — Aimee Miller had four hits, including a home run, and threw a complete-game one-hitter to lead No. 3 Sto-Rox (5-1, 4-0) to a Section 1-A victory.
Neshannock 1, South Side Beaver 0 (8 inn.) — Rayanna Furst scored the game-winning run on a misplayed grounder in to lead No. 1 Neshannock (5-0, 5-0) to a Section 4-A win. Madison Shaffer struck out 17 in the victory.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins co-owner Lemieux snuffs rumored rift with Crosby
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin ends practice with third-down work
- Duquesne basketball tops Western Kentucky to win consolation bracket
- Pirates sign free agent 1B-OF Goebbert, RHP Webster
- Explosion claims life of garage owner
- Stocks finish weak before Thanksgiving holiday; energy firms give back some gains
- Attorney wants evidence from South Allegheny teacher’s cellphone thrown out
- WPIAL AAAA boys basketball preview: Runners-up last season, North Allegheny hopes to take next step
- Steelers kicker Boswell puts best foot forward
- Dining at Applebee’s helps Jacobs Creek Area Faith in Action
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin not grooming successor to RB Williams