Daily News roundup: West Mifflin comes up short against South Park
TribLIVE Sports Videos
West Mifflin scored more runs against South Park than any other WPIAL team so far this season, but the Titans' fate was just like all the others as the Eagles remained undefeated with a 10-6 Section 4 victory.
Thomas Jefferson and Franklin Regional had each scored four runs in losses to South Park (11-0, 4-0), which is one of only two undefeated baseball teams — Hopewell being the other — in Class AAA.
Randy Dobnak pitched six innings for the Eagles and allowed two runs while striking out two and walking two. Greg Pantuso had two doubles as part of his three-hit day to lead the South Park offense.
A.J. Olasz homered for West Mifflin, which hosted after the game.
Woodland Hills 4, Allderdice 1 — Jake Jessel allowed his only hit of the game in the seventh and he struck out 12 to lead the Wolverines to just their second win of the season.
Steel Valley 18, East Allegheny 0 (3 inn.) — Maddie Cotter allowed one hit and walked one in three innings of work as the Ironmen rolled over the winless Wildcats.
Skyler Vinnay helped Steel Valley (2-2, 2-2) as she went 3 for 4 with two doubles and three RBI, while Chelsea Rohan had three hits, including a triple, and drove in four. The Ironmen scored 15 runs in the top of the third inning.
Jefferson-Morgan 7, Serra Catholic 3 — The Eagles were bitten by an opponent's fast start for the second time in a week as the Rockets scored three runs in the top of the first off Serra Catholic freshman starter Sam Andrekanic.
Serra Catholic (6-3, 5-3) also gave up four runs in the first inning in a road loss to Frazier on Tuesday.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steel Valley baseball gets another chance to advance
- Knoch baseball not content with WPIAL finals berth
- Knoch’s baseball success story years in the making
- Norwin posts 3rd straight shutout, reaches WPIAL finals
- High school roundup: Bishop Canevin tops Cardinal Wuerl North Catholic
- Small ball carries day for Bethel Park in win over Fox Chapel
- Serra Catholic tops Jeannette in WPIAL quarterfinals
- WPIAL baseball playoffs roundup: Norwin upsets No. 1 Mt. Lebanon
- GCC baseball team wins, reaches WPIAL Class A title game
- WPIAL baseball playoffs roundup: Quaker Valley edges No. 1 Keystone Oaks
- Neshannock pulls past Steel Valley, reaches WPIAL baseball finals