Daily News roundup: West Mifflin comes up short against South Park
TribLIVE Sports Videos
West Mifflin scored more runs against South Park than any other WPIAL team so far this season, but the Titans' fate was just like all the others as the Eagles remained undefeated with a 10-6 Section 4 victory.
Thomas Jefferson and Franklin Regional had each scored four runs in losses to South Park (11-0, 4-0), which is one of only two undefeated baseball teams — Hopewell being the other — in Class AAA.
Randy Dobnak pitched six innings for the Eagles and allowed two runs while striking out two and walking two. Greg Pantuso had two doubles as part of his three-hit day to lead the South Park offense.
A.J. Olasz homered for West Mifflin, which hosted after the game.
Woodland Hills 4, Allderdice 1 — Jake Jessel allowed his only hit of the game in the seventh and he struck out 12 to lead the Wolverines to just their second win of the season.
Steel Valley 18, East Allegheny 0 (3 inn.) — Maddie Cotter allowed one hit and walked one in three innings of work as the Ironmen rolled over the winless Wildcats.
Skyler Vinnay helped Steel Valley (2-2, 2-2) as she went 3 for 4 with two doubles and three RBI, while Chelsea Rohan had three hits, including a triple, and drove in four. The Ironmen scored 15 runs in the top of the third inning.
Jefferson-Morgan 7, Serra Catholic 3 — The Eagles were bitten by an opponent's fast start for the second time in a week as the Rockets scored three runs in the top of the first off Serra Catholic freshman starter Sam Andrekanic.
Serra Catholic (6-3, 5-3) also gave up four runs in the first inning in a road loss to Frazier on Tuesday.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Plum baseball suffers first loss in Section 4 play
- Greensburg high school roundup: Hempfield takes down rival P-T
- Latrobe baseball routs Connellsville to move closer to WPIAL playoff berth
- Elizabeth Forward bides its time, then rallies for victory over West Mifflin
- Two-out rally lifts West Shamokin past Apollo-Ridge
- High school roundup: Allderdice baseball upsets Plum
- Daily News roundup: Elizabeth Forward softball edges West Mifflin
- High school roundup: Mars takes down No. 4 Hampton
- Fox Chapel baseball team’s defense responds, keys win over Kiski Area
- Big 2nd inning proves just enough for Sabers
- Daily News roundup: SA’s Cornish breaks school record