Jeannette baseball team is undefeated early in season
TribLIVE Sports Videos
It's not just the winning that makes Jeannette baseball head coach Marcus Clarkson happy — it the way the winning is happening.
“We are pitching well, our fielding has been great and we have been hitting at the bottom of our lineup,” said Clarkson. “The way we have done things has been impressive.”
The Jayhawks were very impressive in beating South Allegheny last Monday 14-4 and followed that up with an even more impressive 6-3 win over Steel Valley. The two Section 4-AA wins raised the Jayhawks' record to 3-0 in the section and 4-0 overall.
The South Allegheny win featured a 3-6 day at the plate for senior Jordan Edmunds who singled, doubled and tripled in his first three at-bats. Catcher Michael Wise singled, tripled and knocked in three to power the Jayhawks.
Two days later, Steel Valley visited Jeannette on the heels of scoring 38 runs in three previous wins. Jeannette sent sophomore Tony Mash to the hill and Mash responded by tossing a complete game and holding the Jayhawks in long enough for the offense to come around and overcome a 3-2 deficit in the sixth inning.
Jeannette started their half of the sixth with four consecutive singles and two bases-loaded walks. Mash held Steel Valley scoreless in the seventh and the Jayhawks picked up the win.
Clarkson glowed when discussing Mash.
“The kid is only a sophomore and he is pitching like a senior,” said Clarkson. “I really have to give credit to our pitching coach, Joe Ponzetti, for helping our staff become very, very solid.”
Besides consistent pitching, the Jayhawks are getting a great game behind the dish game in and game out from junior catcher Michael Wise.
“Michael Wise has been outstanding,” said Clarkson. “He has thrown out five base runners so far. I think teams who have seen him will think twice about running on him.”
Wise, Mash, the entire pitching staff, the defense, the lineup from top to bottom and the coaching are all off to glittering starts for the Jayhawks who hope to carry the momentum through to a very successful 2013.
WPIAL Section 4-AA:
Jeannette (3-0) (4-0)
Shady Side Academy (3-0) (6-1)
Steel Valley (3-1) (3-3)
Greensburg Central Catholic (2-2) (2-3)
Southmoreland (1-3) (4-5)
South Allegheny (0-3) (2-4)
East Allegheny (0-3) (0-7)
Dave Moio is a freelance writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Real estate union: Howard Hanna buys Langholz Wilson Ellis
- Undersized Beachum quietly excels at 1 of game’s pivotal positions
- Steelers notebook: Polamalu, Taylor unlikely to play, Harrison ‘ready’
- Connellsville wrestling tunes up for duals by routing TJ
- 5 plead guilty to charges of luring, beating man at Harrison gas station
- Position move fits Pitt sophomore Artis
- Pitt’s acting athletic director is deft facilitator
- Michigan State defensive coordinator a Pitt coaching candidate
- Convocation center booze battle rages on for California and Cal U
- ExOne Co. moves solidify authority under CEO
- Assault suspect allowed to play H.S. basketball