Belle Vernon baseball hosting Military Appreciation Night
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Belle Vernon baseball team will have a little more motivation than usual Monday when the Leopards host Thomas Jefferson in a Section 4-AAA contest.
The team will host its second annual Military Appreciation Night at the John DiVirgilio Sports Complex, and all active, non-active and retired personnel from all military branches are welcome to attend.
They will be honored at 6:30 p.m., just before the varsity teams take the field.
Captain Eric McElvenny, a 2001 Belle Vernon graduate, will be the guest of honor and will throw out the first pitch. A football and baseball player for the Leopards, McElvenny, who lives in California, played rugby at the Naval Academy before being commissioned in 2006.
On a tour in Afghanistan, he stepped on an explosive device and lost his right leg, but that didn't stop him from completing a marathon just 10 months after the injury. He has since participated in six triathlons and a half Ironman competition.
— Staff reports
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penn State struggles against Big Ten’s worst defense in loss to Illinois
- Police investigating shooting outside of Monessen bar
- Duquesne gets better of Robert Morris again
- Man faces multiple charges after chase in Uniontown
- Freezing rain hits Western Pennsylvania, many accidents reported
- Robert Morris falls to physical Georgetown
- Freezing rain sets off accidents
- Butler police seek help over shots fired into home
- Tire comes off, hits oncoming car, kills 1 on Route 28
- Architect picked to examine Fayette County jail
- Steelers’ Wheaton embraces expanding role