Daily News roundup: Norwin wins to move ahead in Section 2-AAAA
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Steve Socrates allowed two hits over six innings to lift Norwin (7-5, 6-3) to a 10-0 victory over Albert Gallatin.
Casey Rebosky went 3 for 4 with a double and 3 RBI to help the Knights move a half-game ahead of idle Latrobe (6-5, 5-3) in the Section 2-AAAA standings. Norwin will visit the Wildcats at 4:15 p.m. Monday at Legion Keener Field.
Jeannette 16, South Allegheny 1 (4 inn.) — Things started off well for the Gladiators as they opened the scoring in the top of the first, but that was as good as it got as the Jayhawks rolled to an easy win.
South Allegheny (3-10, 1-8) has lost by at least 10 runs in six of its 10 losses.
Serra Catholic 25, Geibel 0 (3 inn.) — Wayne Hydak hit a grand slam as part of a 22-run first inning to help the Eagles win their eighth consecutive game.
Parker Janosko went 4 for 4 with a double as Serra Catholic (12-1, 7-0) moved to within one win of locking up a WPIAL Class A playoff berth and two of a share of the Section 2 title.
Serra Catholic 14, Mapletown 2 (5 inn.) — Nicole Jezerski got a rare start and chipped in three RBI to help the Eagles come away with an easy win over the Maples.
Mapletown has been 10-runned in 12 of its 13 losses.
Serra Catholic (9-4, 8-4) locked up a berth in the WPIAL Class A playoffs with the victory and will guarantee third place all to itself with a win in one of its final two games or a Monessen loss.
Norwin 9, Mt. Pleasant 4 — Nikki Ingel had four hits, and Maddy Wensel doubled twice as Norwin (7-5) came away with a nonsection win against the Vikings.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins notebook: Martin not concerned about expiring contract
- Steelers’ Roethlisberger hurting after big hit
- Police: Barracks ambush suspect sought mass murder
- Southmoreland student injured in school assault
- Auditor General to expand Education audit to include Tomalis
- State awards six Western Pennsylvania schools mentoring grants
- E-68 respiratory virus identified in Pennsylvania
- Former Pirates pitcher Tekulve doing well after heart transplant
- Pirates notebook: Hurdle quiet on rotation plans
- Pennsylvania fiscal officers say budget in dire situation
- Improved economy drives first decline in the national poverty rate in 7 years