Daily News roundup: Elizabeth Forward baseball can't stop South Park
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Elizabeth Forward's Luke Padezan accomplished something many have failed to do this year — keep South Park's offense in check.
But it wasn't enough to hand South Park its first loss of the season as the Eagles clinched the outright Section 4-AAA title with a 5-3 win at Evans Field.
Padezan tossed a nine-hitter and limited the heavy-hitting Eagles to five runs, their second fewest this year.
Randy Dobnak earned the win, going the distance and striking out eight. Adam Thompson knocked in a pair with a double and a single.
South Park (17-0, 10-0) received doubles from Carter Grote, Nick Yobbi, Justin Dilla, and Shane Fetsko.
Elizabeth Forward (11-5, 5-4) got a double from Matt Diehl and a home run from Ryan Wardropper.
Norwin 9, Latrobe 7 — Norwin took a big step toward claiming a playoff spot in Section 2-AAAA with a win over Latrobe (6-7, 5-4).
Noah Smith tossed a complete game, striking out six and walking three.
Dom Farina had three hits, and JJ Matijevic a double for Norwin (8-5, 7-3).
Frazier 17, Clairton 2 (3 inn.) — Clairton's faint playoff hopes took a hit with a Section 2-A blowout loss.
Frazier had 16 hits to make a winner out of pitcher Travis Sanner, who allowed only a double to Robert Boatright.
Zach Lorea picked up the loss for the Bears (3-9, 2-6)
Yough 10, Greensburg Salem 0 (6 inn.) — Josh Sterner went 3 for 4 with an RBI and two runs, Eric Borkovich added two hits and two RBI, and Yough (8-7, 6-3) won in Section 2-AAA action.
C.J. Vargo struck out five in six innings for the win.
Norwin 6, McKeesport 3 — Nikki Ingel had three hits, including two doubles, and Norwin (8-5) won the nonsection game.
Dom Clark had two hits for No. 5 McKeesport (13-3). It was McKeesport's first loss to a Quad-A team this year.
Penn-Trafford 5, Yough 1 — Lex Ryan knocked in a pair of runs with two hits, and Penn-Trafford (10-5) won the nonsection game.
Nicole Smith earned the win, allowing only a pair of hits.
Macy Mularski (7-8) was saddled with the loss.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Kang’s 9th-inning home run gives Pirates wild victory over Twins
- Rossi: ‘Hockey guy’ Sutter will be missed
- Pirates notebook: Prospect Tucker unaware of ‘trade’ frenzy
- Murrysville Legion caps stellar season
- Penguins trade Sutter to Canucks, sign free agent center Fehr
- Steelers’ Wheaton adjusting his game moving to slot receiver
- School credit ratings a problem for several in Western Pennsylvania
- Steelers RB Le’Veon Bell gets suspension, fine reduced
- More than 100 stamp bags confiscated in Greensburg; 4 arrested
- Woman charged with assaulting cops in wild Pittsburgh dispute
- Van Halen plays plenty of favorites in First Niagara show