Fox Chapel runs past Shady Side, nips Butler
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Fox Chapel varsity baseball team defeated neighborhood rival Shady Side Academy in a nonsection game on April 22 by a 9-6 score.
The Foxes scored three times in the first and added three runs in the third to take a 6-1 lead.
The Indians countered with three runs in the fourth but Fox Chapel answered with a pair of runs in the fifth to take an 8-3 lead.
Jacob Pilarski picked up the win.
Zack Burkhart homered for FC while Joe Palumbo, Anthony Veltre and Connor Duquette added triples. Dan Vargo stroked a double.
Evan Eisner suffered the loss and added a double. Brian Hannon smacked a homer for the Indians.
Fox Chapel nipped Butler, 7-6, on Friday in a Section 1-AAAA contest.
James Serio got the win while Anthony Veltri led the offense with a home run. Josh Dunlap, Zach Burkhart and Dan Vargo doubled for the Foxes, who are now 4-3 in the section and 8-5 overall.
They are tied for second place with North Allegheny and North Hills.
Shady Side Academy baseball
In Section 4-AA action on Thursday, the Indians edged East Allegheny by a 3-2 score.
Coleman Strohm picked up the win while Paul McCullough stroked a double.
McCullough is currently hitting .469.
Shady Side Academy softball
Shady Side Academy lost to Deer Lakes, 11-1, on April 22.
Courtney Kozdron suffered the loss. She doubled in the Indians' lone run.
Erin Frohlich had the other SSA hit as she had a double.
Kozdron allowed only three later in the week as the Indians lost to West Shamokin 3-0.
Stephanie Betts singled twice, Mandi Williams singled once and Jackie Yencik singled once.
The Indians fell to Valley, 6-3, on April 25.
The Vikings erupted for five runs in the first. The Indians rallied for three runs in the fourth but came up short.
Jackie Yencik took the loss and also belted her team-leading third home run in a losing effort.
Fox Chapel softball
Fox Chapel lost to Pine-Richland on April 22 by a 6-2 score.
Kaylee Pistorius homered for the Foxes while Megan Walkowski had a double.
FC fell to North Hills, 10-8, in Section 3-AAA play on April 25.
The Foxes carried a 5-3 lead into the last inning but the Indians erupted for seven runs.
Isabella Bungo took the loss while Jen Moran and Jenna Alexander doubled for the Foxes who fell to 1-10 in section and 2-11 overall.
In a nonsection matchup on April 26, the Foxes edged Gateway, 2-1.
Bungo picked up the win as she held the Gators to three hits.
Jen Moran and Kaylee Pistorius each had a triple while Megan Walkowski stroked a double.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Young Derry baseball team developing under 4th-year head coach
- After rough 2014, Clairton baseball team hoping for better season
- Greensburg high school roundup: Greensburg Salem edges Mt. Pleasant
- High school roundup: Homers highlight Canon-McMillan’s win over Bethel Park
- Cal Area overwhelms Charleroi
- New coach looking for improved results from Carlynton baseball
- Return of 5 starters boosts prospects of Frazier baseball team
- Greensburg Central Catholic sets sights on competing for titles in Class A
- Plum baseball returns from Florida with 3-0 record
- Latrobe baseball forming ‘building blocks’ to succeed
- Brentwood baseball team bolstered by 9 returning lettermen