Gateway baseball looking for a positive against McKeesport on senior night
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Gateway varsity baseball team will try to end its season on a positive note Friday as it hosts Section 3-AAA foe McKeesport on senior night at the Gateway sports complex.
Gators seniors Alex Augustine, Tyler Boehm, Nate Dillon, Alan Muir, Connor Olson, Dan Toner, Matt Whelan, Dom McKenna and Justin Rolland will be recognized in a brief ceremony before the first pitch, which is scheduled for 7 p.m.
Gateway was 1-11 overall and 0-8 in section play heading into a section contest at Baldwin on Wednesday afternoon.
The game was to be played past the deadline for this week's edition.
The Gators suffered two of their closest losses of the season in the first meetings against Baldwin and McKeesport. Gateway fell to the Highlanders, 2-1, and then were defeated by the Tigers, 5-3.
In between those losses, the Gators tasted victory with an 8-4 nonsection triumph over Penn Hills.
Gateway struggled offensively on Monday in an 11-0 loss to Franklin Regional.
Plum got the better of the Gators on Friday, 10-0.
Gateway got only one hit off of Mustangs senior starter David Cross through four innings — a single from McKenna in the top of the first.
“The kids have been frustrated,” Gateway head coach Mark Wardzinski said after the Plum loss.
“They have been making good contact, and the ball's hit right at (the opposing team's defensive players). We're just not catching the breaks we need.”
Plum had 12 hits, and six were for extra bases.
“Plum hit the ball hard. You can't take anything away from them,” Wardzinski said.
Plum scored six runs in the second inning to take control.
“We have had that snowball effect against us in games, where one hit or one error turns in a big inning against us,” Wardzinski said.
“It leads to runs that we shouldn't give up. It happened against Penn-Trafford and Central Catholic and again against Plum. Those big innings have hurt us big time.”
Michael Love is a staff writer with Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412- 388-5825 or at email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- PennDOT puts 14 Alle-Kiski Valley bridges on list to be replaced
- Freeport dock bid exceeds resources
- Harrison OKs antenna zoning change
- Steelers to bring LB Harrison out of retirement
- Steelers defense must replace three injured starters after victory
- Flag holders stolen off veterans’ graves in Lower Burrell cemetery
- Apollo-Ridge middle school library project gains STEAM
- Cloverleaf bridge work to resume after change
- Red Wings beat Penguins, 2-1, in preseason opener
- Liriano, McCutchen help Pirates to 1-0 win over Braves
- Penguins boast several good blueliners with point-producing skills