Leader Times roundup: Brown shines in Apollo-Ridge baseball win
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Apollo-Ridge baseball team will take any kind of wins it can get. Delbert Brown almost delivered a perfect one.
Brown faced one batter above the minimum and struck out 12 to send the Vikings (8-10, 4-6) to a Section 3-AA win in five innings against West Shamokin, 11-0, on Tuesday afternoon.
Brown allowed a single to the Wolves (2-10, 1-7), while the Vikings' offense was led by home runs from Sam Held and Mike Percic. Held and Percic had three hits each.
The win keeps Apollo-Ridge alive in the playoff chase, as it trails both Burrell and Ford City by one section win with two games to play.
Deer Lakes 7, Ford City 0 — Ryan Perroz hit an RBI single in the bottom of the sixth that broke a scoreless tie and started a seven-run inning for Deer Lakes (13-3, 10-0).
Todd Coleman and Kevin Begley each had two RBI, and pitcher Adam Fredley allowed four hits for Deer Lakes, which clinched at least a share of the Section 3-AA title.
Justin Retzer took the loss for Ford City (5-6, 5-5).
St. Joseph 8, Leechburg 7 — Chris Gamble's RBI single in the top of the seventh scored Sam Thimons for the go-ahead run to give St. Joseph its first Section 4-A win of the year.
Thimons had three hits and a walk to lead the offense for St. Joseph (2-9, 1-5), which trailed, 7-2, after three innings.
Jared Ravotti finished with five RBI for Leechburg (2-5, 2-4) on a 3 for 4 day that included two doubles and a three-run homer.
Leechburg 6, Riverview 1 — Leechburg clinched at least a share of its 20th section title in the last 30 years with a win in its Section 3-A finale in Oakmont.
Miranda Reesman had three hits and three RBI for the Blue Devils (10-2, 10-2), and winning pitcher Kenzie Young held the Raiders (8-5, 7-3) to two hits.
Leechburg will win the section title outright if Jeannette loses in one of its final two section games.
Deer Lakes 8, Freeport 2 — Tiffany Edwards pitched a two-hitter and hit a two-run homer to lead Class AA No. 1 Deer Lakes (14-0, 13-0) to a win that clinched the Section 3-AA title outright.
Taylor Massart homered for Freeport (9-6, 9-4), which has clinched its playoff berth.
Ford City 8, Valley 1 — Andrea Markilinski pitched a two-hitter, but she didn't have the run support she needed until her Ford City teammates came through with a seven-run sixth inning in a Section 3-AA win.
Brooke Stitt had two RBI, and Jess Jubec doubled for Ford City (7-6, 7-6). Courtney Toney took the loss for Valley (4-10, 4-9).
West Shamokin 9, Apollo-Ridge 4 — Alecia Calhoun pitched a complete-game win for West Shamokin (5-10, 5-8), which jumped out to an 8-0 lead in a Section 3-AA win.
Mariah Laird took the loss for Apollo-Ridge (3-12, 3-10), which had seven hits.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Allegheny County will stop asking about employees’ criminal history, Fitzgerald says
- Connellsville wrestlers hope to meet program’s standard of excellence
- FDA rule to require chain restaurants to post calorie counts
- Lower gasoline prices fail to spur consumer spending
- DUI checkpoints take on dangerous drivers
- Roundup: Mazda recalls cars to fix tire pressure monitors; Wal-Mart’s top merchant out as key holiday nears; more
- No. 15 San Diego State hammers Pitt, 74-57
- U.S. Steel Tower tenants stand to benefit from company’s relocation
- Steelers cornerback Taylor ready to swap earpiece for helmet
- Steel Valley plans to play up-tempo under 1st-year coach Schifino
- Bars bulge at the seams night before Thanksgiving