Elizabeth Forward beats Belle Vernon Area to clinch baseball playoff berth
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Elizabeth Forward had one chance to make the WPIAL playoffs and that was to beat Belle Vernon Area in the Section 4 AAA finale for both teams.
That's exactly what the Warriors did as they beat BVA, 10-8, to force a tie for third place in the section between the two teams.
EF (13-6, 7-5) and BVA (11-8, 7-5) split their two games during the season.
Thomas Jefferson (12-7, 8-4) defeated West Mifflin, 6-3, to earn the second-place spot in the section behind undefeated South Park.
EF snapped a 3-3 tie with two runs in the third inning and never trailed.
BVA was losing 10-3 in the seventh inning and scored five runs before falling short.
EF got three hits from Jake Terrick and two each from Luke Padezan, Ryan Wardropper, Ryan Thornton and Justin Bakewell.
Joe Simsic had three hits for BVA while Adam Ferita and Jake Holliday each had two.
South Park 5,Ringgold 2
The Rams (3-12, 1-11) closed play in Section 4 AAA with a loss to the unbeaten Eagles (20-0, 12-0).
Ringgold trailed 3-2 in the sixth when South Park scored two insurance runs.
Justin Rich hit a double for Ringgold.
The Rams host Charleroi Area in a non-section game today.
Brownsville 3,Charleroi Area 1
The Cougars (1-18, 0-14) may have closed play in Section 2 AA with a winless season, but they certainly played hard against second-place Brownsville (13-4, 10-4).
Zach Nabozny limited the Falcons to six hits, including a triple and single by Brandon Furlong.
He struck out five.
Charleroi trailed 3-0 going into the bottom of the seventh inning when the Cougars tried to rally, scoring their lone run off Tyler Spohn.
David Young had two singles for Charleroi, who lost their 16th-straight game.
Charleroi travels to Ringgold for a non-section game today.
Jeff-Morgan 7,Frazier 4
The Commodores (7-9) lost the non-section game as J-M (10-4) scored four runs in the third inning and added two more in the fourth to erase a 2-1 deficit.
The good news for Frazier is that they are not out of the playoff race.
The Commodores can clinch a playoff berth today if Monessen loses their game at Bishop Canevin.
Mt. Pleasant 11,Yough 8
The Cougars (9-10, 7-5) lost the Section 2 AAA game to the Vikings (8-9, 4-7), despite getting three hits from Brad Bisko, including a double and triple.
Ben Sabljak homered for Yough.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Nearing season’s midpoint, Steelers still have issues to sort out
- Wanted sex offender caught hiding in homemade fort in Burgettstown
- Truck wreck closes Saxonburg Boulevard in West Deer
- Ross brothers ordered to pay fine, remove debris from Christmas display
- Lawyer: Steelers center Pouncey, brother won’t be charged in July fracas
- Injured Pitt center Rowell plays well-rounded role on campus
- Rossi: Fleury is, and will remain, Penguins’ soul
- Testing legs, giving backup goalie a chance are Penguins’ priorities
- Steelers film session: Watt kept under control
- Wanted sex offender was hiding in homemade fort
- Allegheny official sees bright future