Leader Times roundup: Burrell clinches 16th straight playoff berth
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Burrell pitcher Dustin Maloney had his best for when his team needed it most.
Maloney tossed a five-inning no-hitter to give Burrell an 11-0 win over West Shamokin and put the Bucs in the WPIAL playoffs for the 16th straight season in the Section 3-AA finale Tuesday afternoon.
Burrell (7-8, 7-5) reaches the postseason at the expense of Ford City (7-7, 7-5), which finished tied for third place in the section but misses the playoffs after being swept by the Bucs during the regular season.
Justin Fleck doubled and had two RBI for Burrell, which scored seven runs in the second inning to take a 9-0 lead.
West Shamokin finishes its season 2-14 (1-11).
Riverview 2, Apollo-Ridge 0 — Anthony Malky struck out 15 to run his season total to 101 while pitching a one-hitter in a nonsection win for host Riverview.
Zach Aber and Kevin Gray drove in the runs for the Raiders (13-2) in the fourth inning.
Mitch Johnston's double was the lone hit for Apollo-Ridge (9-12), who got a strong start on the hill from Jarrett Geiger.
West Shamokin 3, Ford City 0 — West Shamokin wrapped up Section 2-AA play at home with a win by set scores of 25-8, 25-8 and 25-14.
Matt Marsh and Damon Craig both had six kills and three blocks, and Kevin Kaplon had 19 service points for West Shamokin (7-5, 6-4). The Wolves will go to the Class AA playoffs as the third-place team from the section with their only section losses coming to state-ranked Derry and Deer Lakes.
Ford City's record drops to 1-9 (1-9).
Highlands 17, Ford City 6 (6 inn.) — Gabby Miller went 4 for 4 with a pair of two-run homers and six RBI for playoff-bound Highlands in a nonsection game.
Miller also pitched the complete game with eight strikeouts, while Cassidy Runyan and Kaylee Simpson also homered for Highlands (8-5).
Holly Penn had three hits, three runs scored and an RBI for Ford City (8-9).
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- News Alert
- Florida high school prostitution ring busted
- Woman sought in robbery in Unity
- Oil prices continue descent, dragging market indexes lower
- A la carte: Turkey rescue and tips
- So Many Questions: Health-food diva Lizanne Falsetto says we have the power to change
- NFL notebook: Bills will play at home Sunday
- Household debt on the rise after 5-year decline
- City Theatre offers a smart look at a smart actress
- EPA eyes stringent air quality standards
- Bars bulge at the seams night before Thanksgiving