Sewickley Academy ends season in WPIAL opening round
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Sewickley Academy saw its season come to a close in a 7-4 loss to California in the opening round of the WPIAL Class A baseball playoffs last week.
The Panthers (11-6, 7-3 in Section 5-A) led 4-2 in the fifth inning when the Trojans scored two runs in the fifth and three in the sixth for the win.
“It is hard when you lose a game you play well in,” Sewickley Academy coach Andrew Heck said. “We scored runs when we needed to early, but they were a really good team who put the bat on the ball.”
While it was a rough way to end Heck's first season, it was an impressive year for the program. The team reached the postseason for the first time since 2006 and the 11 wins were more than the previous three seasons combined.
“I am very proud of them,” Heck said. “I told them not to look back and hang their heads. They shouldn't regret anything from this season. The goal of this year was to make the playoffs, and we did it.”
— Nathan Smith
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Previewing the the 2015 WPIAL baseball championships
- WPIAL finalist Knoch baseball team playing head games at plate
- Steel Valley baseball gets another chance to advance
- Serra Catholic baseball team tries to keep season alive
- Mistakes costly for Seneca Valley in playoff loss to Central Catholic
- A-K Valley baseball games postponed
- Knoch baseball not content with WPIAL finals berth
- GCC baseball team wins, reaches WPIAL Class A title game
- BV Area leads 2-AAA All-Section list
- HS notebook: WPIAL announces baseball playoff pairings
- Indiana uses big inning to storm past Laurel Highlands